It’s about time we had another clock competition

oldhippy

6 hours ago, rodabod said:

On D, it’s the open mainsprings which are the first clue, plus the shoddy plates!

How old is that fourth one anyway?  Were American clockmakers still using mortise/tenon & wedges to hold the movement together in place of screws well after we started calling ourselves "USA" in the very late 1700s?  

With out looking at that movement in any detail I would say around 1890's. With these clocks it can be quite easy to date if the label is still with the clock. It is a typical movement of its country, crude in every way, nothing fancy but robust, behind those massif springs is a force you do not want anything to go wrong and end up with a busted hand. 

Still waiting for a winner. One is causing a bit of a problem, someone is very close. 

Clock A painted case is typical of one European country  and is reminiscent of  a Mora clock also from that country so I would say Sweden

Clock B is a triple pad top verge fusee and is English

Clock C is a German Lenzkirch bracket clock in walnut veneer case, these turn up quite regular a small movement in a large  case around 1900, popular at auction and in good condition fetch £600-£800  with all Ting Tangs its the case that makes the difference in price.

Clock D  The model T-Ford of the clock world produced for ease and low cost of production for the masses typical American

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Correct. He always wins. He has a vast knowledge of clocks.  

Which would amount to one side of a postage stamp compared to yourself ?

I do own a horological mystery clock, that no one has ever been able to attribute country or maker to they turn up now and again its large 8 bell bracket clock with St Michael chimes and is spring driven with a unusual off set barrel arrangement and underslung bell nest. It has many attributes that make people either say French or German, but many think they come from Slovakia I shall make a seperate post of it and see if anyone knows.

• Like 2