Minor update and Emojis

Mark

Some of you may have noticed last week, I was struggling with a major update for this forum software.

I was getting a lot of errors in the back-end and it was making it very difficult to manage.

I rarely do this, but I opened up a support ticket with the developers (Invision) and at first they put the blame on third party plugins, something I knew was complete BS, but I went through the process and eventually we got bumped up to 1st level support after quite a bit of whinging from yours truly.

1st level support immediately saw that it was a bug on their end and we had to wait until today, a minor update has been released by them and I am happy to say that the issue is resolved.

What does this mean for the forum - well not a lot but the backend is running more smoothly with no errors. 

EMOJIS

What this does change though is the way this site handles emojis - you know - ? ? etc etc. and mobile users (me included) will particularly appreciate this. Before, this website could not handle mobile standard emojis as keyed into the keyboard of a phone or tablet (or even the emojis in, say, a macbook touch bar). These style emojis are now pretty much standard, but the forum would throw up an error if you tried to post with a standard emoji. I'm happy to say that the database this forum runs on has now been updated to support standard emojis and the old emoticons have now been disabled in their favour. Going forward this will reduce errors when you are posting on mobile devices and any keyboard that is emoji enabled. So - old 'Emoticons' are gone - Emojis have replaced them. 

And another first world problem is sorted ???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 9/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, Mark said:

I rarely do this, but I opened up a support ticket with the developers (Invision) and at first they put the blame on third party plugins, something I knew was complete BS, but I went through the process and eventually we got bumped up to 1st level support after quite a bit of whinging from yours truly.

1st level support immediately saw that it was a bug on their end and we had to wait until today, a minor update has been released by them and I am happy to say that the issue is resolved.

Which perfectly describes the standard IT support process, as you, I and everybody else in IT knows.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, Mark said:

the forum would throw up an error if you tried to post with a standard emoji.

Yes sir, I refrained from  whining about that just because I could live without emoticons.

Thanks!

• Like 1