Watch mod work required

17 hours ago, no-time said:

I was looking for someone (in UK) to do some light modding work for me, replacing a crown, changing hands and dial.

Have a look at some places where they change batteries. Some are good and able to do that as well.

• Like 2

Have a look at some places where they change batteries. Some are good and able to do that as well.
Thank you.

I did contact a watch repair person and the cost was higher then the watch ifself.

It's a similar conundrum to when a beginner starts looking for watch repair tools, can't afford the Bergeon ones and some cheap tools are too cheap.

I know I'll get what I pay for, but I am after a new'ish watch enthusiasts who can do it for less the the price of a Seiko type watch.
[emoji3526][emoji3526][emoji120]

Our prayers go out to the thousands that are effected by the pandemic and in dire straights.

Same problem happens in other fields. The expertise and time required to do a repair or modification can often be way higher than the price of the item itself. Happens all the time in the computer field. Computer repair is generally a joke as true repair would be much too expensive. I just recently repaired a computer motherboard where the time and parts involved were way more expensive than the board itself but it was really satisfying to see it work.

I have had a watch repaired where the cost of the repair was higher than the value of the watch. The repairer was very hesitant to give it a try but we went ahead with it with the understanding it was a best-effort kind of thing. Even if a repair appears simple, there is always the risk of the repairer causing damage and turning into something complicated. I'm learning watch repair but I wouldn't touch someone else's watch unless I knew things were totally fine should it turn to scrap. While a beginner may be able to help for cheap, it is risky for a beginner to help you too.

• Like 1

Same problem happens in other fields. The expertise and time required to do a repair or modification can often be way higher than the price of the item itself. Happens all the time in the computer field. Computer repair is generally a joke as true repair would be much too expensive. I just recently repaired a computer motherboard where the time and parts involved were way more expensive than the board itself but it was really satisfying to see it work.
I have had a watch repaired where the cost of the repair was higher than the value of the watch. The repairer was very hesitant to give it a try but we went ahead with it with the understanding it was a best-effort kind of thing. Even if a repair appears simple, there is always the risk of the repairer causing damage and turning into something complicated. I'm learning watch repair but I wouldn't touch someone else's watch unless I knew things were totally fine should it turn to scrap. While a beginner may be able to help for cheap, it is risky for a beginner to help you too.
I see your point, yes even building computers like building a custom watch can cost more then a new one.

I was hoping for a new'ish watch repairer with say a years experience who is comfortable with modding, of course we would have a mutual understanding if things go wrong.

Form zero experience I added a seconds hand to a NH35 watch, it took me about ten attempts but got it done, its just that with the current pandemic I can't invest the time and need to focus on earning to survive.

I'm sure I'll find someone who is willing to do some modding on the side. Also once things recover I'll get back into learning very soon [emoji106]

The folks on this forum are all very welcoming and helpful [emoji847]

4 hours ago, no-time said:

I was hoping for a new'ish watch repairer with say a years experience who is comfortable with modding

Look and contact the guys that sell modded watches in your city or country. And if they are unreasonable, take it in your hands.

• Like 1