NOS hairspring 180 degrees out of position

gaber

Just now, gaber said:

Think these marks were put to tighten the balance cock? 

Maybe if I remove them somehow, this will give the endshake?

Yes! Remove those raised lumps. This may be a sign that the old staff is incorrect.... and possibly some of the other balance parts. 

4 minutes ago, rodabod said:

I think I have a spare cal 1002 which I could send you parts for, but I’m guessing you are not in the UK. 

That's very kind of you to offer.  I live in Germany for my work.  I guess the only thing I need right now is the regulator arm, which I can take of a donor balance cock (about 10Eur online from Italy via EBay).

Removing the lumpy marks worked beautifully!  Now the wheel is spinning:

24 minutes ago, rodabod said:

That’s an early anti-shock setting. When you bought the balance complete, was it described as being for anti-shock in any way? Eg. “Inca”?

Re this, the balance was only advertised as N.O.S. for AS 1002.  Nothing about the intended jewel setting.

Just now, gaber said:

Re this, the balance was only advertised as N.O.S. for AS 1002.  Nothing about the intended jewel setting.

Well, it appears to fit. Some staff lengths do not vary according to antishock setting. The pivot profiles can vary slightly, but don’t worry about that just now. 

Loosen cock screw to see if it frees the staff.

The marks( guaged) lowers the jewels which takes out the end shake( free axial end play on staff) removing them like you say might be all you need to do, if still no end  shake,  gauging on the inner bound will furthur raise the jewel.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Loosen cock screw to see if it frees the staff.

The marks( guaged) lowers the jewels which takes out the end shake( free axial end play on staff) removing them like you say might be all you need to do, if still no end  shake,  gauging on the inner bound will furthur raise the jewel.

The marks were the cause.  I rubbed them down and now it spins freely and has a healthy bit of end shake.

Perhaps, years ago, someone tried to compensate for worn pivots by making those marks to the balance cock.  When I got it, the pivots were so worn that it wasn't enough anymore...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gaber said:

The marks were the cause.  I rubbed them down and now it spins freely and has a healthy bit of end shake.

Perhaps, years ago, someone tried to compensate for worn pivots by making those marks to the balance cock.  When I got it, the pivots were so worn that it wasn't enough anymore...

Glad to hear this and agree with you 100% , marks were made to compensate for short pivots.

Best wishes joe

On 9/26/2020 at 11:03 PM, rodabod said:

No antishock on the dial side. That may be original. 

Let me check mine. 

Hey rodabod.  I just wanted to follow up on this.  Did you you have a chance to investigate your movement?  If it is not compatible, no worries.  There seem to be suitable parts for sale out there.  Thanks again.

This kind of shock setting should provide a bit more safety than the one already installed in mine, no?  I have a mind to swap them as long as it doesn't change the fit of the balance wheel.

And thanks!

Edited by gaber
politeness