Taking out movement from an Omega case

Rafael

7 hours ago, Tudor said:

Clamps are off and stem is out (I assume)?

It should drop right onto the casing cushion. 

Stem is out. There were no case clamps or screws (not sure why but i'm 99% sure this watch hasn't been touched for 40 plus years, so probably a feature and not a bug). 

Edited by Rafael

56 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Have you removed the gasket and then see if it drops out.  

The gasket got really deteriorated and is stuck to the case so no. This is why I want to take out the movement. I need to clean the case and replace the gasket. I need to practice more on "cheaper" less sentimental watches before I'll have the courage to service this one :biggrin:

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi on some omega's there is an outer ring which is rotated and removed. Then the movement is .  removed.   check for its presence.  What is the calibre No cannot make it out from the photo.

That is normally with Omegas that come out from the front. There's a type of ring you move to enable the movement to be freed from the case. Is that what you mean? 

3 hours ago, Tudor said:

I do see the movement ring there so I’d get in there with a loupe or microscope and bright light to check around the edges to see if it rotates. 

Is it even loose, or is it tight in the case?

A very tight fit. Nothing moves except the movement which I can slightly rotate.

So applied some force with a screwdriver and the movement ring popped out! 

It's covered with some sort of black coating which i'm not sure from what origin. I think it might be protective paint from some sort.

Now for the cleaning. Thanks for your help!

20200924_221715.jpg

20200924_222312.jpg

Edited by Rafael
  • Like 1