eBay's new pay plan.

eBay has stopped letting me list new items for sale until I sign up for there new payment method.  From what I understand they link to your bank account and if a auction goes wrong they can go into your bank account and take the money out of it. Am I miss understanding this?  Does anyone else have a problem with this?  Any help understanding the new rules would be appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, Tudor said:

I think the require your PayPal to be linked to a bank account for security.

Actually I think that as the OP mentioned is to make sure that sellers do pay their listings bills.

For buyers there is no added security in letting them know, rather the opposite.

• Thanks 1

Mine has always been tied to a credit card where they could charge me any fees.  Now they want to be able to go into my bank account without me having any control?  There are never any problems until there are problems and your fighting for 3 months to get your rent money back. Mabey I'm being paranoid but I never let anyone have access to my bank account.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, markr said:

Mine has always been tied to a credit card where they could charge me any fees.  Now they want to be able to go into my bank account without me having any control?  There are never any problems until there are problems and your fighting for 3 months to get your rent money back. Mabey I'm being paranoid but I never let anyone have access to my bank account.

I agree with you 100%. A credit card or PayPal authorization is more than enough for Ebay. I do have my utilities directly debited to a bank account but here in Europe that's common, credit cards are not universal and companies do the possible avoid their fees when possible.

• Thanks 1

That's why you open another checking account in the same bank solely for use with on-line transactions.

You can transfer in and out electronically, but the potential loss is severely limited and always in your control. They impose no limits on how much must be in the account...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tudor said:

You can transfer in and out electronically, but the potential loss is severely limited and always in your control.

The incredible (for rest of the word) feature of electronic banking in the USA is that one can initiate transfers from the receiving account as long both belong to the same person (SSN?). Doesn't seem very secure to me. 

That has not been my experience. 

Every  personal check has your bank account and routing number printed on it. Even with that information (on top of the name and address of the account, printed on the check), you cannot initiate a withdrawal without the consent of the account holder. 

12 hours ago, Tudor said:

Every  personal check has your bank account and routing number printed on it. Even with that information (on top of the name and address of the account, printed on the check), you cannot initiate a withdrawal without the consent of the account holder. 

Of course you can't. But both HSBC and Citi allow to link an account from another bank which is in the same name, and initate transfers from the receiving side. End of the off topic.