Hello

Wobblycogs

Hello everyone, please let me introduce myself. 

I am Nick. I have had a keen interest in clocks and watches since I was a small child as one of my uncles used to repair both at his home and I would stand watching him for hours. I didn’t do anymore than that and grew to the ripe old age of 15 yrs and my first job was a toolmaker ... that was it my interest started to burn again. However my path took a different direction and at the age of 52 yrs I found myself pensioned out of my job with a non-stop shaking right hand and a diagnosis of Complicated PTSD, I am lucky enough to still be receiving treatment for it. 
As my head slowly started to see my world again the first thing to burn away at me was my desire foe old clocks. Cutting a very long story short, I was given a very old Longcase Clock to try and fix. I invested in some on-line learning, which was and still is excellent and I now go to my workshop when I can - about half of the week. I call it my home therapy as bizarrely my arm shakes so much that I can hardly write and yet I am able to work mostly shake free in my workshop. 

Sorry I rambled on a while!

• Like 4

Thank you for the warm welcome. 
just to clarify I have moved on and also work on mantle clocks, 400 day (Anniversary Clocks) and Cuckoo clocks. Although I’ll have a go at pretty much anything - the older the better. I try and stick to original methods for restoration etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wobblycogs said:

Thank you for the warm welcome. 
just to clarify I have moved on and also work on mantle clocks, 400 day (Anniversary Clocks) and Cuckoo clocks. Although I’ll have a go at pretty much anything - the older the better. I try and stick to original methods for restoration etc. 

What would your idea of original methods be?    

• Like 1

Welcome!  You have found the right place, I would say.  I have a soft spot for old pocket watches myself, but I often need to work on clocks and wristwatches, mine and other's.  When it comes to clocks, I defer to Old Hippy.  He knows clocks.  Enjoy our friendly forum here!

• Like 1

I remember when I was learning I would go hang out in a few watch shops. More than a few times I watched old men (like 70) pick up a part- with a shaky hand, already impressive- then at the moment it mated with the watch it was like magic they'd have perfect control.

I'd like to think that this new endeavor will help you with your shaking and ptsd, and welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Hi. 
im new to the forum so trying to work my way around the system so I apologise if this is wrong ...

I am replying to oldhippy...  

I try and replicate traditional methods when restoring a case for example. I only use Hyde glue and will use Shellac & Beeswax etc. I hope that answers your questions?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I remember when I was learning I would go hang out in a few watch shops. More than a few times I watched old men (like 70) pick up a part- with a shaky hand, already impressive- then at the moment it mated with the watch it was like magic they'd have perfect control.

I'd like to think that this new endeavor will help you with your shaking and ptsd, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Welcome!  You have found the right place, I would say.  I have a soft spot for old pocket watches myself, but I often need to work on clocks and wristwatches, mine and other's.  When it comes to clocks, I defer to Old Hippy.  He knows clocks.  Enjoy our friendly forum here!

Thank you - I’m pretty sure I may use everyone’s advice at some point, but I will certainly look at oldhippyy a lot he seems to give consistent excellent advice about a wide range of topics. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Wobblycogs said:

Thank you - I’m pretty sure I may use everyone’s advice at some point, but I will certainly look at oldhippyy a lot he seems to give consistent excellent advice about a wide range of topics. 

He does indeed.  For that matter, he knows quite a bit about timepieces in general, watches, etc.  

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Its always nice to know that some of the old ways are still with us. :Bravo:

Hi. 
I wonder if I may ask your advice vice on something which is probably a very simple answer but has left me scratching my head in disbelief!

I have attached a file for information which shows the Smith’s Westminster chime clock after I have cleaned & serviced etc. 
The clock was brought to me in an awful condition. It belongs to an old lady who had it off her mother. She said it hadn’t worked for years and she hadn’t even got the key, but it would be nice to hear it ticking again now she had retrieved it from her shed. 

The clock was understandably awful. It was as black as can be and full of years of grime dust and gunk. I very much enjoyed cleaning and serving it and was pleased to say that all of the parts are intact. Even the key was there - it was jammed between the front of the case and the movement!

However, I have had it running on my bench now for about 3 weeks (allowing time for setting down etc), but the clock runs and chimes excellently but will not slow down. The Bob is extended so it is hanging on by barely a thread and yet it still gains about five mins a day???

I would be grateful of any advice you may have?

Kind regards

Nick

d392l9JjRMSqtfmVHDnOvA.jpg

ddGaMH78Rsy8zuAcjgb6mw.jpg

WZJQq0hgTx-o_UWcBnmShg.jpg

Looks like the wrong suspension spring. As you can see I have pointed it out. The crutch part should be about half way in that slot and not at the very bottom. Looking at the photo it is causing the s/spring to buckle, it should be straight. The clock cannot be regulated properly with the s/spring like that.   

d392l9JjRMSqtfmVHDnOvA.thumb.jpg.8ea2f333f80cc5b8dc59df101996e685.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Looks like the wrong suspension spring. As you can see I have pointed it out. The crutch part should be about half way in that slot and not at the very bottom. Looking at the photo it is causing the s/spring to buckle, it should be straight. The clock cannot be regulated properly with the s/spring like that.   

Hi oldhippy. 

your genius appears to have worked once again. I have made the necessary adjustments and all seems well so far, clearly I’ll need a couple of days for certainty but I’m confident and eternally grateful to you. It was one of those things where I couldn’t see the wood for the trees!

I would like to think I could return the favour sometime but I don’t think I’ll be in a position where you need my assistance, but it’s available if needed. Thank you. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, oldhippy said:

Hi

I apologise for the delayed reply - I’m not used to talking on a forum. 
However - I’m certain you will have guessed by now, but your advice was spot on and the clock is now running beautifully - when I returned it to the 87 year old owner, she cried and told me that it was a present for her 21st Birthday !
Thank you oldhippy you have triumphed once more. 

• 4 months later...