New RAF style dial creation

1 hour ago, toptime810 said:

Not sure what I can or will do with this newly dicovered idea but the dials I can make really look cool.

Would you be generous enough to share your techniques? I'm sure many members of the community would appreciate the insight you may be able to provide into a relatively dark art!

This is your art and will improve only as much as you put in it, it would however, face stiff competition in aftermarket at any meaningful quantity production, unless your method is so superior in repeatability and adatability and ........to automation, to attract investors.

Check chinese dial production on line, you can get a semi-automatic dial printing machine for the price of an omega wristwatch.

Beleive me I know,  as I have a handful of designs on shelve.

Good luck pal.

To Nucejoe, I dont plan on mass producing these old designs. I just found a way to produce a dial for a dollar or less after the material is bought. I found a way to make any size dial and fit any caliber and any case size. Can we see your designs setting on the shelf.

6 minutes ago, toptime810 said:

To Nucejoe, I dont plan on mass producing these old designs. I just found a way to produce a dial for a dollar or less after the material is bought. I found a way to make any size dial and fit any caliber and any case size. Can we see your designs setting on the shelf.

Sorry buddy,

Shelves refers to a design sold by the designer and put by the buyer company on shelve with the right to research and furthur develope the design.

Once sold it no longer is the designers property, in my case I am entitled to furthur rights if and when the buyer goes to produce or sell the design.

Contract reads(my translation to English) ; by virtue of this contract and ...... I am not to disclose details, neither make nor reuse any part of the said  " invovation" ...... resembles in concept to ..... 

Best wishes

joe

1 hour ago, toptime810 said:

It's an ancient Chinese secret

It does remind me somehow of Chinese lacquer ware.

Slightly off topic, but if you are interested in an in depth dive into artistic techniques you might like to read Shaun Greenhalgh's (semi?!) autobiographical book A Forger's Tale: Confessions of the Bolton Forger.

It covers quite a number of artistic techniques, obviously with a view to "reproduction" of artworks.

Hardcover : 384 pages - ISBN-13 : 978-1760295271 - Publisher : Atlantic Books (June 1 2017) - ISBN-10 : 1760295272

I am of course not advocation creating your own Mona Lisa and trying to pass it off as the real thing, but it certainly is an eye opener about both artistic tricks, and the art world in general.

12 minutes ago, toptime810 said:

Some things in watch making are to remain secret. I dont work hard to give my ideas away

I'm sure everyone will respect your decision to keep your technique a secret, but I'm not sure you appreciate the nature of this forum and its community, where the sharing of knowledge, ideas and experience go a long way to develop those who show an interest and passion in all things watches.

I also agree that some things in watchmaking should remain a secret but I see that as the domain of those who profit through their intellectual property. I don't believe that is what this forum is for. 

I'm also sure that your intentions when posting were honest. 

• Like 3