Automatic not winding , manual goes very rough as well

Dubey

Automatic not winding.
Manual also goes rough.
Rotor moves freely but it has difficulty pushing the spring.

If wound runs normal 42 hours.

Came back from Brazil (five years) , took all watches in airplane and many automatics now have difficulty? Can they have gotten covid?

Never had watch issues so exploring .

Others with issues.
Dubey aerodyn X2 this is the GMT alarm. Dubey Worldtimer works fine. 

Citizens x2 bullheads, x2 8180 and the diver as well issues (not sure number is correct) issues, the Seiko 6139s x4 steady as they go....no issues 

Omega coaxial all good.

????

Very upsetting.  Let's focus on this one first. As here the winding is rough, the others this seems fine and don't have the glass back to validate . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Dubey
Typos

Hello and welcome Dubey, I notice you made a shortcut right to this section. Usually one make a short introduction of one self in the "Introduce your self here" forum. Just so people get to know you and give you a warm  welcome .

But here you are,  it is hard to say with the watch dangling like that. But this one I think has an La Jaux Perret 5900 movement pushing the watch hands, and that movement is based on the AS 5008.
From the picture one can see the alarm hasn’t been wound since the click isn’t engaged on it.
One can’t see the ratchet wheel for the main spring, it's behind the oscillating weight.

I think this one has an autowinder which winds both springs, the alarm spring and the main spring.
This makes it hard to know exactly where the fault might be without taking the movement apart.
By the looks the movement is in a need of a service anyhow.

When opening this watch back one should be careful, as it looks from the picture someone previously opened it using  a  slightly badly dressed screwdriver and put burs on the screws. This will increase the risk damaging them more in the future.

• Thanks 1

That is more knowledge than I had expected. Happy to introduce myself off course. I have a lot of watches but never brought any in for service as never had a problem over fifteen years. 
Will consider this. 

One time I had brought a nivrel power reserve emaille watch with the blue dials to Timpson and they broke the dial. Traumatising. But this one and the aerodyns need to work for everyday tough use. 

The alarm winds fine and works well 

I did only have the service sheet for the AS 5008. This technical documentation will be of great help when servicng a watch like this, I took a look at the usuall places like Cousines for documents and they only had some strange version of the tech sheet.
This is not a watch for a beginner to start with but for future use and if someone else is interrested I upload the HSL edition of the sheets  ;)

AS 5008 HSL EDITION.pdf

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 1:58 AM, Dubey said:

ever brought any in for service as never had a problem over fifteen years.

One of the problems with modern watches they seem to run forever. The modern lubricants tend to dry up or just disappear without really being noticed that there gone. Then the ceiling of the case the gaskets they tend to disappear with time or breakdown or they just allow moisture into the watch. Eventually a watch comes to a stop and getting a watch service that hasn't ever been serviced is usually more expensive than getting it serviced from time to time. Kinda like if you'd never change the oil in your car ever and maybe it leaks out a little bit that's going to be really really expensive rather than doing what you were supposed to be doing in the first place. Watches really do need to be serviced occasionally and 15 years is kinda pushing it.

On 9/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, Klassiker said:

Timpsons can cut keys and maybe sell you the right length of shoelaces. Don't let them touch a watch you value. Find a proper watchmaker If you decide on a service.

Kinda like an inside joke somebody doesn't tell us what were talking about would this be the company by some chance

https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/watch-repairs

Really impressive website although I would let them touch a watch. It's impressive in that it's not impressive. Even more impressive was the link I found below this one another happy customer okay maybe the word happy isn't quite right maybe the better term would be a very very very unhappy customer who agrees never take your watch their.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:01 AM, HSL said:

I think has an La Jaux Perret 5900 movement pushing the watch hands, and that movement is based on the AS 5008.

One of the problems with watches based on other calibers is that based on does not mean exactly the same there will be unfortunate differences.

https://reference.grail-watch.com/movement/as-5008/

• Like 1

Thanks HSL and Klassiker for all info sofar.

Will get on with it.
If in London you have a reputable watchmaker happy to go.

Don’t mind spending some.
I thought to bring all watches as a batch and document challenges per watch.

They must be Covid strapped for work.
Lubing does make sense.

Timpson did pay 1500 pounds in damages which covered the buying price .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/22/2020 at 11:07 AM, JohnR725 said:

Kinda like an inside joke somebody doesn't tell us what were talking about would this be the company by some chance

https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/watch-repairs

As this thread has gone quiet for the time being, I hope Dubey will not mind if I highjack it for a minute. That's the company I was referring to. In my home town they operate from small shops on the high-street or a corner in the entrance area of a supermarket. It's a UK nationwide concern  and household name. They offer services like key-cutting, watch-battery changes, shoe polishing, mobile-phone repairs and dry-cleaning. They are a bit like Mister Minit, if that means anything to you. I don't know what the US equivalent is.

Anyway, it appears I owe the company and its employees an apology, after reading the info at the link above. It seems they take the repair of mechanical watches seriously, with BHI qualified personnel in a central workshop. Also, if Dubey's experience is anything to go by, if they do make a mistake, they compensate appropriately. Their Wikipedia entry re employment policy makes for interesting reading too. So, mea culpa, I should have got my facts straight before posting.

@ Dubey: it's like John says. Mechanical watches do need occasional servicing, so at least part of your collection may be due. Very interesting that the co-axial is still running OK. You know about the special charachteristics of the escapement?

Re your question about reputable watchmakers in London. I've never lived there, but a search on this forum might turn up something. The BHI website allows you to search for a registered repairer in your area. Sorry I can't post a link; internet connection is playing up. But wrt. BHI-qualified repairers, Timpsons have you covered anyway ?

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Will do.  I bought a watch winder and angled it their on the shore point and left it there for a day.

All seems to be running

still needs a service. Not the way off course.

Need a trusted repairs and have many watches to fix now. Still many working fine. Saw the 8110 automatic citizens are not 50 pounds here like in Brazil but 500 especially the bullheads. That is interesting.  

• Similar Content