zenith info

gary17

I would think that actually is a Zenith (136)/Martel 16"' movement behind that dial.
Not the movement one walk on every day, be very careful with that one.
It is branded Zenith but you will find the Compax to be an Universal movement.
Do you have the original case for it too, if yes this watch is a keeper for sure.
Take a picture of the back too so the ones like me get a treat.....
Be very very careful with it or you break my heart! ;)

Edited by HSL
Swinglish

Uj! As you say something has happened here. The most probably will be OK by a gentle good cleaning.
The minute jumper is intact so that is a bonus, a very brittle part which always is in demand.
So when looking for parts one probably has to look for parts to its base caliber which probably are a Universal Geneve 285.

The Zenith calibers in this series is quite easy to identify they are called like

Caliber 136  = 13 ligne = Universal Geneve 383 (Base caliber 286)
Caliber 146 = 14 ligne = Universal Geneve 385 (Base caliber 285)
Caliber 156 = 15 ligne  = Universal Geneve 387 (Base caliber 285)
Caliber 166 = 16 ligne = ?

My guess is the 285 is the base caliber for the 166 too. 
On Cousine they have some bits and pieces for this one.

But you should practice on some inexpensive ones for a while first before digging in on this one.

10 hours ago, gary17 said:

To me it looks like Universal 281 Tri-Compax but the one on ranfft is 27 mm this is over 32 mm.

but very close likeness

Yes all these 28X has a close likness since they are based on the same movement.
Your movement is 16"' (Ligne) in size. To convert this to millimeters one has to divide the ligne meassurement with the magic number 0.44326241134752.
So, 16 / 0.44326241134752 = 36.096 mm. So it should actually be a bit over 36mm when you meassure it.
Then we have the UNI-COMPAX, COMPAX and TRI-COMPAX, here it is probably easier to see a picture of the differences on the dial side.
Hope this helps.
Universal.thumb.png.1ae52477eb88805c53e3bde1166d6678.png

• Like 1