Crown stem question.

Kevo

Hi guys. I've had this Pulsar y182-6a00 for many years and it has great sentimental value to me. I believe it has a Seiko movement and is basically a Seiko 7T42-6A00 clone? I stopped wearing it back in 2004 as I manged to lose the main (Time/Date) Crown. But recently I decided to try to get the watch up and running again, so I left it in with a jeweller to be repaired. Unfortunately he was unable to find a crown and stem so just moved the alarm crown and (possibly) stem into its place so I could at least set the time and date.

Id love to get a replacement main crown and stem and have the watch fully functional again. I think I could replace everything easily enough myself, and having done some online research I believe these items are still available. However I am not 100% sure about stem lengths. Will the time/date stem and the alarm stem be the same part and the same length, or is the Alarm stem completely different and/or shorter? 

Just hoping you guys could point me in the right direction with regard to parts required and maybe offer some useful advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Kev

119722096_10157180498280458_7167681314613509292_n.jpg

119676395_10157180498360458_5763241839117969878_n.jpg

I would guess the main crown is larger diameter. 

The watchmaker May have trimmed the stem to fit but I’m going to guess it wasn’t trimmed. Check the parts list and get the correct main crown, which may come with the stem attached. Seiko, for the divers anyway, often supply the crown and stem assembled. 

Note that if the original stem and crown were lost, there may be parts needed for the keyless to be sure the new one doesn’t fall out...

Post up your findings and we’ll try to help. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Tudor
Yeah Ive managed to locate the correct diameter crown and stem online, but the stem seems to be quite long, so I'm guessing it's for the time/date only. I cant find a shorter one for the alarm, so I'm going to try to maybe shorten the Time/date stem. Its worth a try anyway. The crowns and stems seem to come as separate units that screw together.

I will of course post how I get on.

I like to thread it into a die plate, trim with wire cutters and back it out of the plate, which straightens the threads out. Sometimes I’ll polish it before backing it out if it was an ugly cut...

if you’ve not trimmed stems before, get extras and wear eye protection when trimming. They are hard and the bits fly fast and far. 

• Like 1