New member from USA

RedVitus

Hello everyone. I live in California and am new to watch repair, but I have a modest collection of watches for daily use that I want to learn how to better maintain.

I've spent a short time in this hobby, and rarely even wore one until about a year ago. Since then I've gone from knowing nothing about repair to just a little :).

I started by practicing disassembly, cleaning and reassembly on some old movements. Then building up from there into fault finding and correction. I've worked on maybe half dozen watches but have taken most apart that many times. One thing in particular that was fun was making my own (simple) tools. An unwinding tool, levers for removing hands, a hairspring tool to detach from balance that have seen a lot of use.

There are a couple parts movements on my table that are complete minus some screws and could be made usable again with some balance work. So I would like to try some more advanced parts repair coming up.

Looking forward to learning more, posting my work and reading yours on this forum.

Welcome to the forum, from another fellow American.  I haven't delved too deeply into tool-making yet, but I have gotten pretty good at making new screwdriver bits from old, broken sewing machine needles.  (I do a bit of tailoring and costuming.)  I have been looking at some of my other tools and thinking how I could make some to better suit my style of usage, so later I may explore that field a bit more.

• 5 months later...