Hi Mark,

I exchanged a few emails with "The Naked Watchmaker" and at the end they asked if they could add watchrepairtalk.com to their link collection:

"Great thank you Lui, please tell me where you are based and we can add you to our links page. 

Thanks 

Daniela 

The Naked Watchmaker

www.thenakedwatchmaker.com"

Would you be happy about it?

Best regards,

Lui

• Like 1

I have just watched the restoration of watch tools. Very interesting, I wouldn't mind having the equipment the guy has at his hands to restore all those tools must cost thousands.    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• If anyone else reads this asking the same question my solution was to grip it with a set of water pump pliers.
    • Introduction from me.  I'm a lifelong lover of watches starting when back in the 70's I got my first Timex. So now I'm well on my way into watch repair but with many questions and much to learn. I've enjoyed watching Mark Lovick's many repair videos and l thought it time to join the forum. I hope I can contribute to the forum and further this great interest of ours. Cheers Mark.
    • A while ago there was a statement in the HJ that they would start discouraging this by steeply jacking up the exam prices for people who didn't purchase the course material.
    • Hey John, I completed the technician's grade a few years back and worked my way through year 2 and 3. I've done final exams last year and only have the record of repairs left (not needed for year 1). I'm taking much longer with that since I have periods of being busy, and periods where I seem to lose all interest in watchmaking, until it flares up again. Self discipline has never been my strong suit -- even though I was pretty good at getting myself through the rest of the DLC. I'm in Singapore btw, where my hobby is seen as crazy/outlandish. a) I used a tutor, and would recommend it. It was the only way to getting any kind of feedback on practical parts and theory for me, since I know nobody IRL who's into technical horology. b) Very much, but no choice. c) Yep. Benefited only as a personal accomplishment. d) I'm lucky enough to have a spare room for a workshop, with equipment for horology, metalworking and electronics. All tools were painstakingly gathered over more than a decade. e) Hard to say, it depends on what you want or expect, and on your personal situation. Prices have increased sharply since I started things. This is not a cheap hobby to begin with, if I look at my tooling 🙂 Take classes at Upton Hall for example. They sometimes have a class that I'd love to join, even though it costs like 400+ pounds for 3 days, etc. All moot anyway, since I can't just drop by.. f) I haven't done Mark's course, but I love watching his videos. The two courses are very different, with the DLC being more thorough and academic, and Mark being more hands-on. The DLC teaches basic metalworking skills in order to start making parts, but none of the tutor-related communication involves feedback on actual watch work that you may be doing. The first feedback you'll get is when you service a quartz watch for the exam, which is kind of crazy. Many people complain that the DLC includes quartz watches and clocks. I found that high-end quartz watches are actually not bad to work on, and I like clocks anyway. I've picked up several tips and tricks over the years from watching Mark's videos. If Mark's course was available 10 years ago, I probably would have started with that, if it wasn't too expensive (no idea about pricing). One thing I value is that if I would ever start taking in repairs for customers, being recognized by the BHI would be a good thing.  Back in the days I was looking into doing a WOSTEP course, but I was not in a position to just drop everything and be off for two years, just like yourself. I also had and have zero interest in working for some big watch manufacturer doing part swaps on the same model all day. Cheers,      Rob
    • Yes, I reckon this shockproof setup will certainly work more effectively than yours, especially as it appears to only be shock-proofed on one pivot.