Eta 2512-1 Movement

This is probably the smallest movement I've worked on & the 4039 holder that arrived yesterday rather dwarfs it! (Btw, I tried the carbon fibre version which was £1 dearer than the steel but it is quite nice.)

Official ETA diameter is 17.2mm.

post-687-0-55391700-1424560535_thumb.jpg

Here the dial has been removed & next the minute train bridge & minute wheel/setting wheel:

post-687-0-83618300-1424560638_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, the minute wheel is driven independently by the third wheel - you can see it's jewel at 8 o'clock in the middle.

The barrel, train & pallet bridges are nicely plated rather than plain steel & is signed:

post-687-0-72185500-1424560929_thumb.jpg

post-687-0-88627500-1424560961_thumb.jpg

The large parts are soaking in solvent overnight....lets hope I can get it back together tomorrow!

• 3 years later...

Old Topic, but I am working on a 2512-1 right now.  Somehow, I failed to note where/how the intermediate wheel lower pivot seats.  I feel I am missing something, but my pictures taken upon dis-assembly do not show the lower pivot point for this wheel.  It is the wheel overriding the barrel in the picture.  Advice please!

Thanks,

RMD

IMG_20190112_145438172.jpg

Edited by rduckwor

Never mind.  I found it.  Strangely there is a non-jeweled bearing press fit into the main plate below and just off the edge of the MS barrel.  Teeny, tiny.  I overlooked it the first time thru.  Getting the pivot into that tiny hole with the other wheels and barrel in place was a test of patience.  Its done and the train runs!!  Whew!!

RMD

• 3 years later...

I am aware of the age of this thread.

I just got through servicing a predecessor to the 2512-1, the 2512.  I too was sort of baffled when I looked for the lower pivot for that wheel. And yes, it is a bit of a bear to situate. Fortunately, I had honed my chops on such things by working on some Accutrons recently and dealing with their index wheels.

The only issue I'm having is that the watch still has hangups at the click. I'm pretty sure that a little lubricant under the rather unconventional click will fix it up. Cheers.

1 hour ago, MrRoundel said:

I am aware of the age of this thread.

I just got through servicing a predecessor to the 2512-1, the 2512.  I too was sort of baffled when I looked for the lower pivot for that wheel. And yes, it is a bit of a bear to situate. Fortunately, I had honed my chops on such things by working on some Accutrons recently and dealing with their index wheels.

The only issue I'm having is that the watch still has hangups at the click. I'm pretty sure that a little lubricant under the rather unconventional click will fix it up. Cheers.

When releasing the mainspring power via the combined click and spring, it can be quite easy to bend the combined click and spring out of shape. The combined click and spring will then not hold the ratchet wheel properly. You may have to bend it slightly so that it engages the ratchet wheel properly.

The ETA 2512 doesn't have the, what I see as improved, one-piece spring/click combination. It has a relatively low tension spring that interacts with a click that has small nubs on the bottom of the click-arm that protrude into holes in the plate.

I'm still fighting with this thing. The spring goes out of position with the slightest movement of the click while trying to situate the ratchet wheel. It's maddening, to be sure. I'm about to buy a new spring in the hopes that it will hold better. Truth be told, the existing one looks fine, but it has a hair trigger. Cheers.

8B5DE13B-4195-4CF7-91E4-5506D8E734DF.jpeg