Orient 49740 and Seiko 2517B

steve1811uk

the problem is if we look at the site below for instance there is the listing of the Seiko parts you can click on each part you can see what it cross-references to. They also have the Orient but only one part? then we have the third link which claims that orient is now owned by Seiko but they make their own movements in house. It doesn't say anything about rebranding Seiko movements. Although conceivably parts will interchange.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_2517B

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=ORI_49740

https://watchranker.com/orient-watch-review/

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

then we have the third link which claims that orient is now owned by Seiko but they make their own movements in house. It doesn't say anything about rebranding Seiko movements. Although conceivably parts will interchange.

The relationship between Seiko and Orient dates way before the relatively recent acquisition. For example decades ago already Orient was legally using the magic lever auto winding system. Just by looking at them you see a good amount of design commonality. However, Orient movements are different, and generally parts don't interchange.

10 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

The 7002 and 7s26 movement parts interchange to my knowledge.
I swapped lots of bits such as upper plate, rotor, magic lever, etc.

These are both Seiko movements. The discussion is about Orient and Seiko parts interchangeably.

13 hours ago, jdm said:

These are both Seiko movements. The discussion is about Orient and Seiko parts interchangeably.

Yep , I meant the 49740 I believe inter-changed with the two seiko movements.

I have now had a look at photos and can see I was wrong.
I was thinking of the 46XXX series I think that was used in the Orient King Diver.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• glad it worked out, those ESA movements are obsolete but new old stock is still out there, now that you know the make/model you could also do a cross reference to see if something more current would line up with the dial feet and hands...for future use if needed 👍
    • I wish they would have done so in this case. The whole story went like this: I sent my speedmaster to an omega service center about 10 years ago (at that point of time I haven't even started watchmaking). After the watch came back to me it had only about 6 months wristtime until january 2024 (not fair for this nice watch but the other pieces of my collection want wristtime too 🙂). So my conclusion is that the barrel was already faulty when it came back from service, can't imagine that amount of wear in 6 months wristtime. In january 2024 the performance on the wrist was quite bad, so I decided to have a look by myself. I have to admit that I didn't check the barrel close enough as I thought it must be ok, couldn't have issues after official omega service. That was a mistake, I will learn from that. Follow the golden rule: Nothing is certain except death and taxes.
    • I am same as you oldhippy I won’t touch anything with a battery, I keep getting requests to but I just say I only do mechanical clocks, there are quite a few errors & omissions with the repair guide have a look at this. https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Encyclopedia-Subjects/Torsion-Clocks/Book:Horolovar-400-Day-Clock-Repair-Guide-10th-Edition-Errors-and-Updates
    • Nice experiment. As it will be no problem, please put a twice less mass (half of the two penies) and read the amplitude, will be interesting. I mean to determine what is the relation torque/amplitude.
    • parts touching that aren't supposed to touch definitely would cause an issue. there not supposed to be touching there supposed to be independent which means that @VWatchie is correct that the ratchet wheel has no effect on performance. so if the ratchet wheel in your particular case is touching that is definitely going to be an issue and needs to be addressed. did you know that the Swatch group service centers do not change mainsprings? Swatch group service centers have an infinite supply of spare parts so they just change the mainspring barrel the whole thing. Plus anything else the watchmaker doesn't like just gets replaced like anything related to the escapement they just replace the components because they can.