Tissot 27B-21 guidance

Jin999

Hi everyone,

I am working on my first self servicing of vintage manual wind Tissot.

I am stuck and hoping the seniors here might be able to give me some guidance.

The issue is, i had no idea how to remove the drive wheel during disessembly and how it should be install back during assembly.

Much appreciated.

Kind regards

Jin

You could use tools like Bergeon # 3 which will do the work most of the times like on this one.

image.png.2d0ffda999bc763ade1576904263af9c.png

If the pivot is slightly longer and thinner you would use a tool like the Bergeon 6016.

With this you put the thin small points under the wheel while pushing and at the same time twisting the handle.

image.png.ebddc5df122bc8a077d2ddc2f4abafcb.png

Then we have the less preferred style, put two screwdrivers underneath the wheel and twist them around.  If you choose  this method just remember toput something underneath so you don’t scratch and make a mess out of the movement.

• Like 1

just pay attention when you remove the wheel as there is a top and bottom so take a picture. Also note the sweep wheel removing tool will usually make a reference to the number of spokes.  you do need to get the right one for the right number of spokes. also look on eBay the price is considerably cheaper than purchase thing them new

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Tissot_27_121

1 hour ago, HSL said:

You could use tools like Bergeon # 3 which will do the work most of the times like on this one.

image.png.2d0ffda999bc763ade1576904263af9c.png

If the pivot is slightly longer and thinner you would use a tool like the Bergeon 6016.

With this you put the thin small points under the wheel while pushing and at the same time twisting the handle.

image.png.ebddc5df122bc8a077d2ddc2f4abafcb.png

Then we have the less preferred style, put two screwdrivers underneath the wheel and twist them around.  If you choose  this method just remember toput something underneath so you don’t scratch and make a mess out of the movement.

Hi HSL, thank you for the kind advice and I will give the hand removal tool a try to remove the drive wheel.

As for installing back the drive wheel, do you think the hand installing tool would do the job? I am wondering if the press tool hole bigger than the pivot, it should be fine I guess.

Pls to hear.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

just pay attention when you remove the wheel as there is a top and bottom so take a picture. Also note the sweep wheel removing tool will usually make a reference to the number of spokes.  you do need to get the right one for the right number of spokes. also look on eBay the price is considerably cheaper than purchase thing them new

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Tissot_27_121

Hi John,

I believe I had never came across the tool that you mention, perhaps you could share a photo to have a better understanding.

:)

I didn’t have a Tissot 27 on my bench, but this old Omega has almost the same type of 5 spoke wheel as yours.

This tool is for a 5 spoke wheel it has an automatic push and lift movement when you press on the springs. The small claws grip the wheel.

Tip.thumb.jpg.6206c98e1c197e82c43d97664b2e2cb6.jpg

Grip the wheel with the one spoke in between the side with two grippers and the single one ends up on the opposite side.

Grip.thumb.jpg.3dba922d992575ef98950cddb993125e.jpg

Keep the tool vertical and gently squeeze the blades and voilá the wheel pops out.

Lift.thumb.jpg.33f10bdaee547e3f5baa6932ff251796.jpg

When putting the wheel back I actually just use my peg-wood. Just push gently a little at the time and it will get in place nicely. Don’t push too hard!

Push.thumb.jpg.6c4b7413f4dc4b7c392aabba4b3b7148.jpg

And here we are back were we started

1383611661_BackinPlace.thumb.jpg.1b16c238e27af0504cc5bedd096e5078.jpg

• Like 1

The question of min drive wheel removal&replacement has previously been asked. Wheather or not OP knows or was concerned about the wheel staying put once reinstalled, facts are such Removal& replacement can easily create problems, the wheel is known to fall off the arbour within few months of operation. 

You should at least put some penetrating oil on pivot where the min drive wheel is to be mounted on, let it set over night.

Peen the upper end of the hole on drive wheel, lower end can remain unpeened, lastly arbour reinsertion into drive wheel hole best be done on staking set to insure the arbour wont get bent or jewel getting cracked.

Finally hope this drive wheel wont join the fallen off club.

My late watchmaker used to put bridge and all atched to it in a bath of hot oil, to minimized removal/loss of material from the hole as he pulled the wheel off the arbour.

I guess I will leave the drive wheel attached to the bridge and clean separately from other parts to mitigate the risk and also lack of wheel removing tool (crazily expensive).

Thanks everyone for the kind input, highly appreciated.

Kind regards

31 minutes ago, Jin999 said:

I guess I will leave the drive wheel attached to the bridge and clean separately from other parts to mitigate the risk and also lack of wheel removing tool (crazily expensive).

Thanks everyone for the kind input, highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Wise decision,  check if minute drive arbour shows excessive side shake by grabing the arbour with your tweezers and feel the side shake, if considerable you may have a worn/cracked  jewel hole or worn arbour in which case you have no choice but to pull out the minute drive wheel  in order to replace the worn parts.   Don't forget to lube the center arbour pivot facing retainer spring. 

Good luck.

23 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Wise decision,  check if minute drive arbour shows excessive side shake by grabing the arbour with your tweezers and feel the side shake, if considerable you may have a worn/cracked  jewel hole or worn arbour in which case you have no choice but to pull out the minute drive wheel  in order to replace the worn parts.   Don't forget to lube the center arbour pivot facing retainer spring. 

Good luck.

Thanks Nucejoe, will take note of it.

U are always welcome to share more info & guidance on this movement ;)