HELP with snap back case

saswatch88

Hey guys i just got a cheapo swiss waltham automatic That was surprisingly running pretty accurate. I decided to take the back off just to see what kind of movement was inside andvthats it. Now the issue is when I snap the caseback back on it stops the watch! I do not hear the counterweight spinning. So it’s definitely pressing on top of the movement. I swear I literally did nothing to this watch except open it to see the movement. And FYI this has nothing to do with the gasket or the movement ring. I have tried putting it on 100 million different ways. The movement is in the exact position it was in when I opened it. I am two minutes away from throwing this damn watch in the garbage. Can anyone give me some advice or something as to why all of a sudden now when the case back is on it is pressing the top of the counter weight thus stopping the watch. This is just one of those issues that makes you scratch your head or possibly go out of your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get the orientation the same? Some case backs have a stem cut-out. 

And what did you use to press the case back - is it possible it deformed? Finally, I presume the movement and dial are seated properly in the mid case?

• Like 1

we need a picture of the case back preferably both sides. Often times caseback's will help you or give you a clue of where you're supposed to be pressing the put them on. not all caseback's will go on with thumb pressure in the middle. Sometimes after pressed on the outer edge. Or as pointed out above a lot of times there's a notch it has to be where it's supposed to be corresponding to the stem. Then I have seen some caseback said a really really close to the automatic weight you can sometimes actually see the scratch marks on the back.

Sounds  like a bent or deformed case back. Do you have two nickels and a pair of vice grips laying about ?If so you could try sandwiching   the case back between two coins and giving it a gentle squeeze. Easy mind you, unless you want Thomas Jefferson stamped onto your watch. Be sure to stay clear of the rim !

Edited by yankeedog

we need a picture of the case back preferably both sides. Often times caseback's will help you or give you a clue of where you're supposed to be pressing the put them on. not all caseback's will go on with thumb pressure in the middle. Sometimes after pressed on the outer edge. Or as pointed out above a lot of times there's a notch it has to be where it's supposed to be corresponding to the stem. Then I have seen some caseback said a really really close to the automatic weight you can sometimes actually see the scratch marks on the back.

I dont see any groova for the stem Or any markings inside of the back that indicate any rubbing of the counter weight. Are used a photo from the auction showing the orientation of the case back and I snapped the back back on in the same exact position. And it still has no effect I cannot understand this at all

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_1097.jpg

The gasket on the caseback looks like it's been pinched as well as not being seated properly (left side). I wouldn't be surprised if snapping it in that way puts enough pressure on the movement ring to bind up something. 

I tried it without gasket too and no dice

Rats, that was going to be my next suggestion.
Have you checked the position of the movement ring? Try to see if a little pressure on the ring stops it.

I also tried with no gasket and no ring and with gasket but no ring i tried every wich way i could

At the top of the picture, just outboard of the rotor, there looks like a fragment of something wedged between the movement and the case.  It also looks like something could be missing from the case back in the lower left quadrant. Sometimes it's had to tell from pictures.  But it's worth a look.

Took rotor off and it runs put it back on and stopped now the movement is no longer working and rotor bearings are screwed up in a fit of rage i launched it accross the room so its now in my junk bin. Never in my 8 years of experience have i ever had an issue like this come from simply removing then installing a caseback

Hi, I had this issue with a watch that I was reilluminating a couple of years back. The watch was working perfectly but when I put the movement back in the case, it refused to work. I eventually found that I had somehow fitted it back into the case were the seconds hand was touching the back of the crystal. I had either replaced the movement off kilter or pushed it back to far into the case. By replacing the backplate, you could have impacted on the rotor and moved the movement further into the case. Academic now but something to consider.