My Seiko 7016-8001

Well the watch repairer has opened my watch up and taken a couple of phots and sent them to me.

It is a bit of a mess inside as well as a couple of missing C clips. One that is on the main bridge. I wonder where it went?

Anyway, gave them the go ahead to clean it all up, and fix what is needed. Now I just need to see if I can find an original band? I'll be much more careful of it now.

First one is rust. Like I need to tell you guys. Second is a photo of the rotor bearing which is shot as well as an arrow pointing to the missing C clip.

Image.JPG

Unknown.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Got another email from the watchmaker that is servicing my Seiko.

It is keeping pretty good time he said.

When he was going over the case, the start/stop pusher tube into the case has been replaced with something that is not the same as the reset pusher.

Apparently, Seiko never made the tube as a spare part and you had to buy a new case. Seems odd as it would be a separate piece. Why a pusher would not have come with one seems odd. Hey, what do I know?

Anyway, Matt is going to look at making one if he can't get his hands on one. The one on the right of the picture is the dodgy one. The state of the case around it is not lost on me either. Grrr. Looks like it was hammered in from Darwin.

Hopefully, Matt can tidy it up a bit.

1533918274_7016pusher.thumb.jpeg.630384f7511d5c3764872e1d4bc50786.jpeg

An idea to consider:

Generic pushers. They are made for Rolex/Tudor and may only require taping the case to insert. 

I have seen generic for Omega as well, though not replaced them, and those may be press in rather than thread in. 

But the Rolex (and later Omega) have the knurled lock ring; early Omega are plain, which yours would have been. Might be worth looking into for a more solid repair. 

14 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

Apparently, Seiko never made the tube as a spare part and you had to buy a new case. Seems odd as it would be a separate piece. Why a pusher would not have come with one seems odd. Hey, what do I know?

Lots of parts which are in fact separate are not sold individually. Other examples are  the rotating bezel insert, or the mainspring. The latter fact is guaranteed to give an hissy fit to beginners especially. Normally that happens when special techniques or tools are needed, and chances of damage are significant

In the end it simplifies the maker but increases repair cost, unless the repairman is able and willing to go the extra mile.

The practice is not certainly not unique to Seiko, or for that matter, to the watch industry.

Edited by jdm

• 1 month later...

I would like some opinions please.

As you all know, I have my watch back and am pretty happy with it. One thing that I did say to them in a letter which accompanied the watch was that the day wheel would 'stall' if you progressed the day wheel via depressing the crown. This still occurs. The only thing I am disappointed with. The day progression occurs completely ok if it occurs by the time advancing after midnight.

Now here is my logic.

As this only occurs when advancing the day wheel via the crown, the issue is with the crown depression to the day wheel. I don't know if the same mechanisms are used for advancing the day wheel via the hands rotation? If a different mechanism is used between the crown and the normal operation AND it only happens in one place (THU to IIII) on the day wheel, the issue has to lie with the day wheel.

Where I run into a logic problem though is that there can't be two different sets of teeth on the day wheel to advance it and since it works properly with normal hands rotation, that points to the mechanism from the CROWN to the day wheel. However if that is the case, why doesn't it happen on other 'manual' advances of the day wheel?

Am I missing something?

Edited by Michael1962

On 11/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, Michael1962 said:

I don't know if the same mechanisms are used for advancing the day wheel via the hands rotation?

No. You need to take it apart, at least partially, to understand the calendar works, and find why the defect happens.

The video below by our Host should help you understand what you would be dealing with, being the calendar design the same or almost.