Jean Cardot Tropicalized Watch

wudce

I pick this watch up for 9 bucks at a flea market; figure I had nothing to lose. The hour hand was broke but the watch did run. Took it home and remove the movement and got the broken part out, need to find another hand for it. Anyways I put in on my Timegrapher and was surprised that it was running very well so 9 bucks well spent. Now the question is what movement dose it have the only thing I can see is 338346, if we break that down to 8346 that comes back as a Seiko but that don't same right the Seikos 8346 that I look at have 25 jewels mine only has 17 also they have a date wheel which I don't have. I'm sure this is a clone of some kind and I not able to find much info about Jean Cardot.

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

Your right. After doing a bit more digging I found this and this is a 26 mm case.

Jean Cardot was most likely a “private label” — a brand name bought by a firm (likely in the Virgin Islands or Guam) to produce Soviet-powered watches for sale in the USA. Sometimes, the dials and cases were also made in the USSR, while other times, these parts were manufactured in China. This was a successful enterprise, judging by the wide range of pocket- and wristwatches produced under this marque.

Jean Cardot

Caliber: 2614.2H (17 jewels)
Year: 1970s
Notes: Poljot export (USA), First Moscow Watch Factory

Jean Cardot

Caliber: 2609 (17 jewels)

Jean Cardot

Caliber: 2604 (17 jewels)
Notes: Vostok export (USA), Chistopol Watch Factory

Jean Cardot

Caliber: 2414 (17 jewels)

Jean Cardot

Caliber: 3602 (17 jewels)
Year: 1980s
Notes: Molnija export (USA), Chelyabinsk Watch Factory

Edited by wudce

I have a few Jean cardot watches. Exclusively  Russian  movements. Sometimes poljot ,sometimes  as your  movement  is generally  referred  to, pobeda. Which is a generic term  applied  to the design .since  they are dirt cheap  I have a few.some made by zim,slava,raketa and vostok.  Yours appears  to be a vostok. It and the raketa are a little  nicer than the other two in that they have a shock  protected balance.for hands and the like check favinov's store on Ebay

Thanks for that link yankeedog. I just got in another one from ebay that the hands are good but the winding stem is missing. After removing the movement from the case and got the hands I needed I decided to use the winding stem from the other one and found this one runs but dose need servicing. So I guess I will need hands for it as well as a winding stem, should be fun to find.

Edited by wudce