wheel train help

Darrel22

i had a Clone  ETA 2824-2 movement that wasn't working and i wanted to take it apart to learn more about watches ,   so i started to assemble  the wheel train back with the escape wheel in  place and but the wheel train cover on , now i watch a video of this and before he screwed the cover on he just but it on and held it down with tweezers,  he was then able to test the wheel train  be turning the second wheel  with another set of tweezers,   which moved all 3 wheels and the escape wheel , made it look really easy but   for the life of me i can manage to do this,  every time i hold the cover down  and try and  move the 2nd  wheel it feels  stuck. So am i doing something  wrong or could it be a broken wheel ? 

34 minutes ago, Darrel22 said:

i started to assemble  the wheel train back with the escape wheel in  place and but the wheel train cover on

The wheels train bridge.

for the life of me i can manage to do this,  every time i hold the cover down  and try and  move the 2nd  wheel it feels  stuck. 

It is normal that you find difficult to align a Swiss style train bridge. Look at the pinions by the side, how far they are from the hole, in which direction they lean on. You need to learn how to make minimal corrections. Dropping the the bridge dead on all wheels on the first try is unlikely for anyone.

Edited by jdm

Once you put the bridge on train gears, you should  get the bridge screw holes right on top of the threaded holes on the mainplate, there are two pins one on each side of the bridge, they too should be positioned so bridge pins can drop in holes. that is how you know the bridge is positioned correct. You wouldn't push the bridge home yet, grab each arbour with your tweezers and guide its pivot into the jewel hole its suppose to drop into, usualy as you try to get a pivot in,  another one jumps out of the hole, keep at it until all pivots are in their relevent hole, once sure, press the on bridge gentle enough so if a pivot has got out, you wont bend or break it, you can tighten bridge screws by half turn at a time, again gentle enough so you wont break or bent a pivot that may have got out of jewel hole, you should keep checking that pivots are dropping into jewel holes.

I have seen folks get all pivots in the holes with just wiggling of the bridge. you grab the bridge with tweezers wiggling the bridge as you gently push the bridge downwards that way any pivot that has got home wont have a chance to get out, but the ones that haven't got a chance to drop in the hole. I imagine one would get a hold of this biy practice only.

15 hours ago, jdm said:

The wheels train bridge.

It is normal that you find difficult to align a Swiss style train bridge. Look at the pinions by the side, how far they are from the hole, in which direction they lean on. You need to learn how to make minimal corrections. Dropping the the bridge dead on all wheels on the first try is unlikely for anyone.

I think i know the problem ill try and do some pictures later,  but i noticed the center wheel drops to low it  goes straight  thought the  hole and out the other side of the  main plate  .