Noisy rotor

Gaus

Hello dear watchfriends, I bought myself a Citizen Prodiver automatic (NY0040-17LE). It looks very nice I think. The movement has a Calibre 8203 on board. I think the rotor (oscillator) is very noisy. I have inspected the movement but the rotor is tightened enough. What can I do? Thank you in advance. 

Edited by Gaus

This movement generates 2 kinds of noises. The first one would be the rotor bearing when it's free spinning in the non-winding direction. DO NOT use D5 on the ball bearing. It will kill your self-wind efficiency. Use a tiny bit of 9010. The other noise would be the ratcheting noise when self-wind is doing its thing. The click in this movement is engaging with the reverser wheel and not the ratchet wheel and also generates quite a bit of noise. To dampen this noise you'd have to grease the ratchet teeth on the bottom half of the reverser wheel. Access is restricted by the balance cock so you would need to remove that first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Hate to say it but I think these Miyota 8000 series also just have a reputation for loud rotor noise. May not be indicative of a problem, since as you say the watch is new. 

Yes, I have a Timex Marlin (TW2T23200) with a Miyota 8215 and you can hear the rotor when you move your arm around. It's a noisy movement.

On the topic of noisy rotors, I've heard the STP3-13 on the Zodiac Olympos is noisy as well.

Probably just wear but excessive wear can hit the watch movement so you need to check this out.

1. Are there any marks where the rotor has hit the edge of the case?

2. Press on the rotor in the middle part next to the bearing. Does the rotor weight lift up when you do this? 

If you answer 'yes' to any of the above then you need a new rotor.

If the answer is 'no' to the above 2 questions you can get by with a clean and oil.

You need to remove the rotor.. clean it in some solvent (lighter fluid) is fine and oil with some very light oil.

Just adding oil without cleaning may reduce noise but you're just creating a gritty paste which will increase wear.

To remove the rotor most Citizens require a spanner tool, I made one by filing a groove in a stainless steel pen clip.

Good luck!

Anilv

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Put the movement in a movement holder and it will be supported as you push down on the setting lever post to release the winding stem. Make sure the post is over the shoulder of the movement holder so what you are pressing down on is supported. As a general rule, hold the movement and not the movement holder. Replace the hands when the movement isn't in the case and support the centre jewel (if it has one) on a hard surface or staking block when replacing the hands to stop the jewel accidentally moving or even coming out. A dedicated movement holder with a central jewel support is even better, but pricey
    • It might help us if we knew which watch like model number.
    • Hi, guys I have a bit of a predicament and hopefully, somebody can advise. I'm working on a Roamer MST 521 where the movement is extracted from the crystal side. I'm now at the final hurdle where I need to replace the movement back into its case but I'm not sure of the correct procedure. I still need to fit the hands but that's where the problem lies. If I insert the winding stem to test the hands for correct alignment I will need to turn the movement over to release the stem again it's the spring-loaded type and needs a small bit of force to push down but with the hands fitted, I don't think I can do this on a cushion without causing some damage to the hands and that's the last thing I want to do, this watch has already been a love-hate relationship and I'm so close to boxing this one off which I'm counting as my first major project.  The other option is to case the movement then fit the hands and hope everything is okay. I've already broken the original winding stem but managed to find a replacement, the last one in stock, so I'm a bit reluctant to keep removing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
    • I would go for the dearer spring. You won't need to remove the spring from the carrier ring and then use a mainspring winder to get it into the barrel, for a start. Also that spring is closer to the needed dimensions, especially the length. The length plays a part in the mainsprings strength. If you double the length you will half the force (strength) of the spring and vice-versa. A spring with 20 mm less length would be about 7% shorter, so technically would be 7% more strength, but I find halving this number is closer to real-world findings, so the spring would be about 3 to 4% more strength/force. On a mainspring that ideally kicks out 300 degrees of amplitude, a 3% increase in amplitude would be 309 degrees. Increasing or decreasing the length of the mainspring will affect the power reserve to a greater or lesser degree. It depends how much shorter or longer it is.