Valjoux 22 Questions

Hello,

As I mentioned in my introduction, I picked up an old Parker at the flea market with a clean Vajoux 22 movement. There is no resistance (zero, like nothing is engaged) when I turn the crown in the winding position but the hands engage and the watch runs when I wind the crown in the first position. Several people have mentioned these symptoms sound like a broken main spring. This leaves me with a few questions.

1. I know the Valjoux 22 is old and parts are hard to come by and expensive when you find them. Should I move this along for parts and find another project?

2. Is it worth investing the hundreds (maybe a lot more) to fix this? It does not have any sentimental value but I only paid $5 for it. I have talked with someone who specializes in vintage watches about getting an estimate. 

3. Should I keep it in a drawer and come back to it when I may have the skills to get it running on my own. That is likely years in the future. 

I have attached a few pictures so you all can see one of my better flea market finds. The plating on this one looks different from the other Valjoux movements I have seen. Any insight about that would be appreciated. 

movement.jpg

dial.jpg

I'm a little biased since I'm a sucker for all vintage Valjoux based watches.
The movement in this seems to be complete and in not to bad shape, so to service it and invest in a new mainspring is for me a no brainer. The fact you only spent 5$ up to now makes this a fantastic find.
The pitting in this style of case is quite common but in all I must say it is a quite charming piece.

• Like 1

Had the same problem when I first started this hobby.  A friend gave me a battered O&W with a Valjoux 92.  I didn't feel able to tackle it with my very limited knowledge and skills, so I told him to sell it which he did.  I now wish I had kept it, as I feel I could tackle it now, some 6 years on.  I would say, keep it in your drawer for a bit longer as you may get to the stage where you will love to tackle it with confidence. If not, it will probably not lose value as it looks in reasonable condition, and you can move it on.

A Valjoux 22 is worth some hundreds just as a bare movement. It's an awesome movement, and in chronograph circles once you set aside the big names on the dials it's all about the movement. I imagine a pro service would perhaps equal the value of the watch in this case, but that's the value of it as-found and complete, unserviced.

If you like it keep it and get into it when you have the skill. At any point you can part with it for many times what you paid- but not with a broken minute jumper/pivots etc.

Thanks for all of your input! I am now leaning towards keeping it unless someone decides they really want it. I can invest whatever I get from this one into better tools and lessons. I am going to have someone look at it to get an estimate just to see what it needs.

18 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  I reckon Canthus is right  hang on to it untill you are ready to tackle it . I have attached the tech sheet for you to store with the watch till ready.   cheers

2012_Valjoux 22.pdf 2.37 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for this! I looked for something similar but didn't have much luck. This is really helpful.