Seiko 2517B Acrylic Crystal broken and stuck

Hi All,

I have managed to mess up the removal of the acrylic crystal from the stainless steel case., I now have a broken rim of the crystal (where it fractured from the front of the crystal) still stuck into the recessed groove around the circumference, between the outside and what looks like a tension ring but I think is not, looks part of the case to me. It really is wedged in tight and i fear that if I use metal tools then the case will be damaged. Any ideas how to get that out? Solvent? Burn it and pick out the remains with peg wood? Any other ideas? All help appreciated. Steve.

IMG_20200909_083242915_HDR.jpg

You have to remove the bezel before you remove the crystal.

The bezel actually clamps the crystal in place, if you try to push off the crystal with the bezel in place the result is what you now have.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marc said:

You have to remove the bezel before you remove the crystal.

The bezel actually clamps the crystal in place, if you try to push off the crystal with the bezel in place the result is what you now have.

Thanks Marc, you are right, just popped the bezel off. I have a new crystal so no worries there. Can I ask is there any reference that tells you if it's a bezel fitted or not as they are sometimes hard to see? Or is it something you have just picked up over the years? Steve.

So far I have managed to work it out on the Seiko's that I have worked on but I believe there is a case parts reference guide that has been shared on here before. I'm not sure whom by but I have a feeling that it may have been @jdm. (My apologies @jdm id I have got that wrong).

interesting timing for me to see this question. Someone else was looking for a citizen watch guide I tracked it down on the Internet for them. While I was there I saw a reference to the Seiko guide found at the link below you want to download the casing section as it covers lots of different casing scenarios for Seiko.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads/seiko-watch-technical-guide-hires-color.1801/#post-8749

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

While I was there I saw a reference to the Seiko guide found at the link below you want to download the casing section as it covers lots of different casing scenarios for Seiko.

As mentioned the Seiko casing guide has been repeatedly uploaded to this forum already. All is needed is to enter "casing guide" with quotes in the search box top right, or here it is again  1982.03 Seiko Case Servicing Guide.pdf

There are also extracts of old case parts list, which one can also find with the same search.

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jdm said:

As mentioned the Seiko casing guide has been repeatedly uploaded to this forum already. All is needed is to enter "casing guide" with quotes in the search box top right, or here it is again  

I thought at one time we even had a library of PDFs? Bad as you're well aware the people asking questions almost never do a search and the people answering questions don't do a search. Sometimes when I'm searching for stuff it will point this discussion group then I will pointed out but usually if I'm doing a search or this case I was looking up something else for someone else who wasn't doing their homework either. But there should be a way of cataloging all the resources and a way for all of us to remember were supposed to look someplace first. One of the things I wonder about is for all the people who attached the PDFs to the discussion how much space is taken up by all these PDFs they keep getting attached over and over again?

14 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I thought at one time we even had a library of PDFs?

The idea is brought up periodically but my opinion. as I wrote in other discussions is that if it has to be an official topic it would require maintenance care and time that Admin and Mods most likely don't have.

If any members volunteers for that all he has to do is to create a topic and attach the documents organized and renamed as he judges better, so searching will work. Then all the Mods have to do is pin and star the topic so to have some better visibility. That is the same as some in other forums.