Major repair French Clock

clockboy

I recently purchased this French 8 day mantel clock from eBay. However (see pic) this is how it arrived. To be fair to the seller he offered a full re-fund on return. However as the seller is based in Spain I offered to keep it at a greatly reduced price. This is for myself so there is no hurry and it is going to be a challenge for sure. Marble to repair, re-gilding, dial to repair these jobs I not tried before. On a positive note the movement although dirty and a broken suspension spring looks in good order. This project will keep me busy for while that’s for sure.

IMG_5785.thumb.jpg.011ebab2906ba496ef011a27a3b4046b.jpgIMG_5783.thumb.jpg.b69cc0a7e77d8d576d03e8532370372c.jpg

Gott in Himmel!  That's heartbreaking!

And marble breaking!  I knew that having the word "fragile" emblazoned in red across a package was no real magic talisman against damage, buy that's the kind of grim reminder that drives the point home. 

But I'd love to see future pics of what restoration you can do.  Please keep us informed.  The above make for some somber "before" pics.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same experience when buying a slate clock from ebay. As well as coming apart, a lot of the slate was shattered into small pieces. The seller was happy enough to refund me fully and let me keep the clock. I have since managed to repair it and did a pretty good job using Milliput. Ive got to say though its much easier to repair a black clock rather than a cream one as after filling I could coat the whole thing with Marblack.

20200120_130028.jpg

20201019_234442.jpg

• 6 months later...