Is an Omega crystal too necessary?

DanB

Hi all,

Is it necessary to use a recommended Omega tool (as written on the case back), such as "tool 105" or "tool 107" to remove an original Omega crystal and gain access to the movement? Or, can I simply use my Bergeon crystal lift? I have used the Bergeon on other front loading watches (non-Omega) in which the watch's case back recommend the use of a specific tool without any problems. Of course, those crystals were easily replaced (at about $4) should there be an issue. With this Omega watch I'm referencing, the crystal has the Omega logo in its center so I assume it is the original crystal.

Thanks!

the easiest way to get an answer to the question is try it what's the harm that could happen?

sometimes googling is interesting like next link looks like they doing exactly what you wish to do? Basically Omega has a nice tool to take the crystal off without scratching it up unfortunately we don't all have those nice tools.

http://old-omegas.com/tool107.html

if the crystal has the omega symbol inside that tells you it's a original omega crystal.

1 hour ago, DanB said:

Of course, those crystals were easily replaced (at about $4) should there be an issue

no have to tell us where you do your shopping and you can get GNU one regional crystals at that price as seems really cheap? In case it's a replacement crystal we've discussed these before and vague memory isn't some people think it may not work. It may depend a course on who made the replacement crystal. That also pay attention to the inside metal ring Omega a lot of times has a slightly different shape than the generic one. It becomes more of a problem if the crystal is used to hold the movement in the watch. As opposed to normal crystal with the metal ring which just is a crystal.

Wow, that's a cool method, worth trying just for the fun of it. Then to reinstall probably best to use a crystal press. I've not used one yet, just the Bergeon, but I think it's time to invest in one anyway.

Thanks so much.