Putting clock in beat

Willow

I have been having problems with setting the beat of a mantle clock when i move the pendulum the pallets does not move the escapement one tooth at a time no matter how much i adjust the pallets left right up down so i cant get it to tick tock. I did have it ticking for over a hour and striking ok then decided to put it back into its case and that was a performance i couldn't seem to get the brackets in the right position for the movement to be level  i did final do it then hey presto it  wouldn't tick  and have struggled the last couple of days with it,any advice would be grateful

Hi   the following  link will give you some tips .  https://www.horologica.co.uk/top/4_setup.html.   

I my self just let the pendulum stop and using a gauge mark the position, move it left and listen for the tick and mark the gauge  then from the center move right and again listen for the tock and mark. The distance from the centre to left and right should be the same, If not adjust the crutch in relation to the pallets/anchor to achieve this. If its ok and even then check the lockings of the pallet/anchor with the escape wheel, check the pallets/anchor for wear and its bearings for wear causing mis locking. The depth has to be right .

I think Hector is on the right track about the pallets. I think you have set the pallets to shallow so the depth needs to be a tiny bit lower. That is what I advise first. The pendulum needs to have a good swing. When the pallets are to shallow the pendulum will hardy swing. Could you check that first then get back to me. 

thank you for your replies the clock has been stripped down and oiled,will have a good look at the pallets again oldhippy and get back thanks. Had a look at the pallets which seem fine what a did noticed and missed before i had a look through a digital microscope, there is a chip at the end of the pivot on the pallet end

I am at my daughter's looking after her 2 grandchildren at the moment as soon as I get home I will try and send a picture but because it so small I don't if you will be able to see on the photo hope it won't be to long  so it might be tomorrow before I get the chance clocks are easier then 2 grandchildren :growl:

Yes HectorLooi you got that right wouldn't trade them for anything,oldhippy that's about the best photo i could get with the camera i have no micro on it hope you can manage to see it, i say a chip because it doesn't feel smooth when i run my nail along it more of a sharp step up

IMG_20200906_105010340_HDR.jpg

From that photo it doesn't look bad. If you have a smooth emery stick I would smooth it out. Try lowering the pallets by the means of the plate that screws onto the back plate. Make sure you oil the pallet faces, pivots and escape wheel teeth. If you have Windles clock oil that is the best you can buy, it doesn't cost a lot.