Another Project Watch: Vostok-Based Seamaster 300 Homage

svorkoetter

Last weekend, I completed my latest watch project, a(n) homage to the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial, based on a Russian Vostok Amphibia, case style 120. I replaced the bezel with one from Dave Murphy that accepts Seiko-compatible inserts, added an insert from Dagaz watches, relumed the hands with a slight patina, and then made a new dial to match. Here is the finished result:

post-140-0-40540900-1424373500_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-92746800-1424373498_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-87369800-1424373496_thumb.jpg

Here's a before and after picture:

post-140-0-19884500-1424373533_thumb.jpg

The process for making the dial differed slightly from my previous project, where I had printed the artwork on photo paper which was glued to the dial blank.

In this project, the artwork was done using transparent waterslide decal paper, applied in two layers to give a sufficiently dark black. The decals were applied on top of a layer of luminescent tape.

post-140-0-26083600-1424373691_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-92870100-1424374151_thumb.jpg

Edited by svorkoetter
  • Like 8

I like that.....

A lot!!!

I am really impressed with your dial making. I have thought about using water slide transfer paper my self, just not got around to trying it yet.

You may have just spurred me on.

Links to stores saved! Waiting for the lady to approve my new Amphibia watch expenditure! Made request in original and five copies for processing and presented her with a slim "porcelain" vase with single red button rose, took out the garbage and prepared a nice brunch (breakfast/lunch) including home made Belgian waffles (thick ones as she likes them)....Waiting for approval!  :)

@Vic: let me know how it turns out. I will be trying my hand too at an old dial I have in an unusable estate (if the right measure for my project)...just a waiting game for now!

Cheers,

Bob

• 1 month later...

Hi,i'm new to this forum. I collect waches for a long time. But i'm absolutely New to the building or modding thing.

I realy like your work.

Would it possible to buy a dial, like the above from you?

Please pm me

Hi Rickyt. At the moment, I don't have the time to make any extra dials, as they take quite a while to make, and tie up my workshop for a few days because I have to avoid making any dust. Also, a dial like this is not the best choice for a beginning modder, since the finish is very delicate, and sometimes it's necessary to tweak the movement slightly to get enough clearance for the hands.

For a first mod project, I highly recommend picking up one of the many Seiko 5 series of automatic watches or an Invicta 8926 (a great watch from a horrible company), a dial and hands from 10watches.com, and if you wish, a bezel insert (from 10watches for Seiko, or an aftermarket Rolex Sub-compatible insert from eBay for the Invicta).

Am I to be the lone voice of dissension? So be it--I find this "watch" an appalling offense to my sensibilities! A dial printed on photo paper?!? Abomination! I don't like it at all.

Kind regards,

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

I think he said the 'photo paper' watch was his previous watch. This one he used decal film. It's similar to how they apply decals to products like guitar bodies. Usually lacquered afterwards otherwise it will degrade quite fast.

Thanks for the correction Mark. Yes decal paper then.....When I first moved to Brooklyn, I saw a guy painting his car with a gallon of house paint and a PAINTBRUSH. Afterward I saw that car parked on the street, and would often look at it closely: I could see the actual brush strokes--This watch reminds me of that car.

J

I always like to keep an open mind on such matters. Most creative things are positive and to take a firm view either way could be a road to discord. Some may call it sitting on the fence but the analogy I prefer is "sliding down the razor blade of life using whatever I can get hold of as a brake"

Accordingly, I shall watch look and hopefully learn but hold my own counsel.

Cheers,

Vic

Am I to be the lone voice of dissension?

Apparently. :-)

What's wrong with exploring new ways of doing things, especially if it can produce good results? If you didn't know the watch below in this post was on photo paper, would you be able to tell?

I think he said the 'photo paper' watch was his previous watch. This one he used decal film. It's similar to how they apply decals to products like guitar bodies. Usually lacquered afterwards otherwise it will degrade quite fast.

Exactly. Here's my "photo paper" watch. You tell me if it reminds you of car painted with a brush:

post-140-0-69399700-1427307071_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-79322000-1427307072_thumb.jpg

Remember that most vintage watches had hand painted dials. Using paint. Applied with a brush. This photo paper technique produces a much higher quality result, and with all the coats of lacquer, and being sealed within a watch case, should be quite durable. Perhaps even more durable than the super-durable, dark, pure black, professionally painted dials on a Rolex, like this one:

post-140-0-98299200-1427307334_thumb.jpg

(Photo borrowed from HQMilton.com, where the dial is described as, "Very Good tropical brown gilt dial where most of the glossy top coat of lacquer has come off the dial. The surface of the dial has some imperfections. The brown color is not completely even.")

Edited by svorkoetter

When I first moved to Brooklyn, I saw a guy painting his car with a gallon of house paint and a PAINTBRUSH.

Ah, that's the problem. The photo in my previous post was actually taken quite near Brooklyn. Here's the uncropped version:

post-140-0-33148000-1427308263_thumb.jpg

• Like 1