How do I release the stem on this old Waltham?

Tudor

Grandpa’s pocket watch. (I have a much smaller Nate that was Grandma’s too)

It is not obvious to me how to release the stem. I want to tear it down and overhaul it. Nicely decorated with (I assume) white sapphire jewels. The screws have been touched so I’m not the first person in here...

Thanks guys!

F2D7B511-6CC5-4681-9A4A-950FF59A374E.jpeg

296EDC69-56B8-4CB4-9D6D-89378223E709.jpeg

9FDD8798-56AB-40B7-BD5C-23F89298DA52.jpeg

Then as a reminder on American pocket watches when it's out of the case the watch will go into setting. The watch companies recognizing that this is a problem when trying to run the watch outside of the case came up with a variety of methods to put it back into winding. Sometimes it's a different screw on the main plate Hamilton does this sometimes. Other times they'll be a special lever somewhere near where the stem goes in. Worst-case you have to put it back into the case itself. For servicing you don't have to worry about it but it's all assembled if you want to put on the timing machine just don't put the dial and canon opinion on that do we find.

Also you might find the link below interesting. The only thing unfortunate is they have a tab for parts but they don't have the parts listing? That's because more than likely are going to need a mainspring. Usually if the pocket watch hasn't been serviced to be a blued steel spring and will be set.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/18362108

That's older than I expected. From the teens? Perhaps a wedding or engagement gift of my Grandfather's family (note I have the mate, which is wrist watch size, on a red ribbon, worn as a necklace I presume).

I just want to get them running and put back away.

I also have a Hamilton Model 912 from 1925 that was also my Grandfater's watch. That one was repaired in the late 90's and I carried it at my wedding.

Second picture is the pair of Walthams together. The small one does not run either.

Hamilton.JPG

Gold Walthams.JPG

EECD5395.JPG

Yep, that seems to be the way. No time last night either or I'd post some progress photos up.

I think once the movement is out of the case, the stem area will need attention as well. It feels like it needs cleaning and lubrication where the stem passes into/through the case. If I can get it apart I'll see about adding an o-ring to keep the dust out too.

Such a beautiful movement; I have high hopes it will perform well with a good gleaning and modern lubricants.

When you get the movement out of the case hold the square of the stem with pliers and unscrew the crown. Then you pull the stem out with the pliers. They can clean everything I would leave the sleeve alone. And when everything is nice and clean you can put the stem back in Making sure you lubricate its and put the crown back on. If you're lucky there's no problems if you're unlucky the sleeve is bad and then that's really really bad. Sleeves are getting really hard to get not impossible

2 hours ago, Tudor said:

I can probably make a sleeve if needed. Is it just a straight tube, or something more fancy? (That’s if I need it)  I guess I’ll figure it out. 

I suspect if you could make slaves and fix crowns on pocket watches you have a nice side business for yourself. because sleeves are getting hard to find their still out there but getting hard to find. So what it is is a steel tube that at the end of four pieces come in and that's what holds the stem in place this is what provides the holding of from winding to setting. With time they either wear out for the spring loses its springiness. And on the top part there's usually made a brass the party holds it and that's threaded into the case. So if you have to adjust the depth thing of it you can screw that in and out. But as long as the watch winds and you can point out the set I would leave that alone other than maybe a little cleaning and some lubrication.

http://www.ofrei.com/page441.html

Pw sleeve.JPG

So, the tube is #2 in the picture? Hole is drilled for the stem and the inside end is tapered and split (twice) to provide holding fingers for the stem if I’m understanding the photo. 

Does the top of the tube (threaded bit) use a standard thread or something unique to watches, or worse, unique to each watch brand, or even worse(!) unique to each watch? That detail may be the deal breaker... But if I know what the thread is, I can have one of the many local Aero machine shops make them up. 

Quantity is the issue with having them run- they all need to be the same. Having different threads on every one would be a problem in a production environment. 

Edited by Tudor

No, it seems it will work fine but I’m happy to try an support others who don’t have access to resources to make obsolete parts. 

I have another source I’ve not used yet. He has a fleet of Swiss screw machines ideal for this type of part.