LUCERNE SPORT CHRONOGRAPH LUME?

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is well!  So its time to move on to another project and this Lucerne Sport Chronograph has caught my eye.  When it comes to older watches I tend to be a little hesitant when it comes to lume.  I know if you're careful and respect it, radium shouldn't be an issue but I've decided just to leave them alone.  In regards to this watch I do see a "T" to the left of "SWISS", so this to me means Tritium, but there is no T on the other side of "MADE".  Also the color seems a bit off to me for tritium but that I guess could change from one manufacturer to another.  I think the one "T" should be enough for me but I thought I would touch base and see if anyone would know for sure what the lume material is on these watches.  Thanks!

LUCERNE.jpg

I'd bet it's Tritium. Radium had no markings that I've ever seen. And Radium tends to be much darker at this point.

Geiger counter will tell you for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to work on it personally. Most of my watches and projects are Tritium.

EDIT_ hands look to have been re-lumed at some point. Do they still glow?

Edited by Tudor
  • Like 1

I agree that it is likely tritium.  And as far as the color you are right, radium does tend to be fairly dark, even black at this point on some watches that I've seen.  Also the lack of radium burn on a light dial points me in the direction of tritium.  As for markings for radium, some dials do have an "RA" marking on each side of the "SWISS MADE" just as it would "T" for tritium. 

It's definitely nice when they mark it, takes the guess work out of it.  I haven't seen it very often but it is out there.  After radium was phased out Promethium was also used for a short time.  I haven't seen one of these dials in person but those were marked with a "P" or "PR".  Huh, that is interesting.  I haven't paid much attention to newer watches, but that's nice they're doing in.