Help Identifing Age of a Waterbury Mantel Clock

FrankCarpenter

Hello

I have tried to find information regarding the clock I recently received but have found nothing but a couple of images.  My clock is a wood case with faux marbling effect in brown tones.  There is a label on the back of the clock stating SAREPTA Waterbury Clock Company. Also on the label are three address one for NY, one for Chicago and one for Glasgow Scotland.  The number 4283 is stamped on the back of the clock case.  The entire back of the clock comes off to reveal the clock works.  The actual works are small in size.  The clock strikes on the hour and half hour.  There are no identifying markings on the clock dial.  The time regulator is located in the number 12 on the dial, however, the pendulum also has an rolling thread in the middle of it. Not sure the pendulum is original.   Any help dating my clock would be great.   Also the brass on the face and the feet is very tarnished. Does it hurt the value cleaning the brass?

Thank you.

clock5.jpg

clock4.jpg

clock3.jpg

clock2.jpg

clock1.jpg

• Like 1

Your clock is dated around 1895 because of the stamp on the back plate and not a label in side of the case. When it comes to polishing, myself I think it will look odd, you will be removing years of its life away. People like the patina of antiques they don't expect to see them looking like new. Unless you decide to completely restore the whole thing I would leave it alone. I also would say that pendulum is correct. 

Here is the link where I obtained the date see if you agree.

https://botspro.com/labelstrademarks.php?lm=Waterbury

Hi  There is plenty of information to be had on the waterbury/ansonia and jerome web sites. They are all linked.

Like Old Hippy says don't go bulling up the clock like new as it will spoil the clock, It picked up all the bruises and patina in life and to remove it all is an injustice to the clock as well to quote Old Hippy "it will look odd". So clean it polish it with care, Its a nick old clock and looked after will run another 100 years no problem.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Your clock is dated around 1895 because of the stamp on the back plate and not a label in side of the case. When it comes to polishing, myself I think it will look odd, you will be removing years of its life away. People like the patina of antiques they don't expect to see them looking like new. Unless you decide to completely restore the whole thing I would leave it alone. I also would say that pendulum is correct. 

Here is the link where I obtained the date see if you agree.

https://botspro.com/labelstrademarks.php?lm=Waterbury

When I try to go to the website in that link Firefox prevents it and I get this warning screen....

EvbxK1R.jpg

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I had the same using Chrome but it is OK to use. I wouldn't post a link if it was dodgy.  

Ok, was looking for the Ansonia link. I have this Ansonia cast iron clock. I got it about 55 years ago. The case was very rusty and as an apprentice in a scientific instrument manufacturers at the time I had access to stove enamelling, so stripped the case and re-finished it.....zQczflR.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Looks good. 

Bearing in mind that the re-enamelling was done about 55 years ago I think that anyone looking at it would be hard pressed to tell that it wasn't the original finish...;). Any idea of the exact age? My thoughts were that it was around 1900.......

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You will need to look at the label for the date. Here is another link for you and its safe.:D

http://www.antiqueansoniaclocks.com/ansonia-clock-labels.php

Thanks, very interesting, but I have no recollection of ever seeing a paper label with the clock.:(

Some close up pics which might throw some light on it.....

Movement.....

ohZcZ2Q.jpg

XTo7JcC.jpg

5B4F0Qa.jpg

rlZOLXD.jpg

And dial..

swHK66r.jpg

• Like 1