Seconds hand question

Smokey

Posting in correct forum this time. 

Removed a movement and dial on a Marathon SAR Quartz  ETA F07.111 to clean some dust off the dial (did not come off even with Rodico due to the dial texture).  

Upon finishing, I manually nudged the seconds hand several times in an attempt to get it to hit the markers as it was doing quite accurately prior.

Put it back together and it is keeping time and hits most of the markers. If it turn the watch as the seconds hand goes around, keeping the seconds hand level to the ground,, it seems to hit the makers better. This may have been the case prior. 

Have I damaged the movement in any way?

Hey Smokey,

Doesn't sound like it. Having a seconds hand hit the mark ALL the way around a watch is tricky. Not impossible (See Grand Seiko), but tricky. Gravity is not your friend, which is why when you rotate the watch you're able to keep it on point. In general, if you hold a watch vertical, because of gravity, the second hand will hit the mark on one side of the watch and miss on the other. I believe generally it will start to miss on the 3 o'clock side but as it comes around and goes back up on the 9 o'clock side it will hit the marks again. Flip the watch upside down (6 o'clock up) and it will do the opposite. Nothing wrong with the watch or the movement...you're just on the wrong planet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1