Looking for info on FE 5612 (Cupillard 5612) Movement

Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.  FE 5612 is stamped on the movement plate and when I looked that up I found pictures of the exact movement on the Ranfft Watches site.  So I guess I have two questions.  First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.   Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely (do they ever?) and I am wondering if I have something misplaced as the only description I could find states: "Strange.  Train and Hand Gear separately driven by barrel (cf. MSR T43)."   I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.

Thanks for any and all information.

3 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.

Thatis normal when buying low priced watches from India. Now you're the owener of a frankenwatch of the Mumbai specials variety.

Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely.

Here we finds parts and documentation the same way you do, that is, searching the Internet. Service manuals are not available for all movements, or sometime they just consist of a part list. Since I suppose you're a beginner it is quite normal that you're having some difficulty putting back together a watch movement.

I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.

Cousins UK has the stem and you can fit a crown of your liking.

BTW, we've a dedicated section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nlapietr said:

First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.

I don't know that Seiko has ever used anything other than Seiko movements, but definitely not in a case marked 6309. What you have is "bitsa" watch cobbled together out of parts that were not originally intended to go together, or as @jdm says a "Frankenwatch".

4 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement

There are a variety of sources on the internet where technical information can be found. Cousins has a good selection, as does The Watch Guy , and many of us on here have accumulated data over the years that may not be found via a Google search, so it's always worth asking if you otherwise draw a blank. Mostly what you will find though is parts lists, although some do also contain technical details. Your best bet going forwards is to remember to photograph every step of the tear down as you go, at least that way you will be able to reassemble it the way that it was. You are unlikely to find a service manual though, and this is where learning how each part of the watch functions. When you understand that problem solving becomes much easier, but if you get stuck just ask.

2889_FE 5601,5602,5606,5611,5612,5616.pdf

The above is from Cousins.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

BTW, we've a dedicated section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Like this?

9 hours ago, jdm said:

Thatis normal when buying low priced watches from India. Now you're the owener of a frankenwatch of the Mumbai specials variety.

Here we finds parts and documentation the same way you do, that is, searching the Internet. Service manuals are not available for all movements, or sometime they just consist of a part list. Since I suppose you're a beginner it is quite normal that you're having some difficulty putting back together a watch movement.

Cousins UK has the stem and you can fit a crown of your liking.

All,

Thanks for the replies and information.  I usually buy my project watches off goodwill.com at a cost of about $10.00 average so I expect this type of thing sometimes.  It is still a good learning experience.  And yes, as a new comer I do still have problems aligning the train works but practice, practice, practice.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Edited by nlapietr
  • Thanks 1