Looking for info on FE 5612 (Cupillard 5612) Movement

Question

Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.  FE 5612 is stamped on the movement plate and when I looked that up I found pictures of the exact movement on the Ranfft Watches site.  So I guess I have two questions.  First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.   Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely (do they ever?) and I am wondering if I have something misplaced as the only description I could find states: "Strange.  Train and Hand Gear separately driven by barrel (cf. MSR T43)."   I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.

Thanks for any and all information.

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.

Thatis normal when buying low priced watches from India. Now you're the owener of a frankenwatch of the Mumbai specials variety.

Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely.

Here we finds parts and documentation the same way you do, that is, searching the Internet. Service manuals are not available for all movements, or sometime they just consist of a part list. Since I suppose you're a beginner it is quite normal that you're having some difficulty putting back together a watch movement.

I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.

Cousins UK has the stem and you can fit a crown of your liking.

BTW, we've a dedicated section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, nlapietr said:

First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.

I don't know that Seiko has ever used anything other than Seiko movements, but definitely not in a case marked 6309. What you have is "bitsa" watch cobbled together out of parts that were not originally intended to go together, or as @jdm says a "Frankenwatch".

4 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement

There are a variety of sources on the internet where technical information can be found. Cousins has a good selection, as does The Watch Guy , and many of us on here have accumulated data over the years that may not be found via a Google search, so it's always worth asking if you otherwise draw a blank. Mostly what you will find though is parts lists, although some do also contain technical details. Your best bet going forwards is to remember to photograph every step of the tear down as you go, at least that way you will be able to reassemble it the way that it was. You are unlikely to find a service manual though, and this is where learning how each part of the watch functions. When you understand that problem solving becomes much easier, but if you get stuck just ask.

2889_FE 5601,5602,5606,5611,5612,5616.pdf

The above is from Cousins.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

BTW, we've a dedicated section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Like this?

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Like this?

Thank you for making me notice my morning mistake. Always good to have a friendly fellow member to watch over my shoulders :biggrin:

1 minute ago, jdm said:

Always good to have a friendly fellow member to watch over my shoulders 

Never anything but friendly :)

• Like 1

Cupillards movements should fetch about $40 on ebay then you can buy a seiko in good condition with the proceeds.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jdm said:

Thatis normal when buying low priced watches from India. Now you're the owener of a frankenwatch of the Mumbai specials variety.

Here we finds parts and documentation the same way you do, that is, searching the Internet. Service manuals are not available for all movements, or sometime they just consist of a part list. Since I suppose you're a beginner it is quite normal that you're having some difficulty putting back together a watch movement.

Cousins UK has the stem and you can fit a crown of your liking.

All,

Thanks for the replies and information.  I usually buy my project watches off goodwill.com at a cost of about $10.00 average so I expect this type of thing sometimes.  It is still a good learning experience.  And yes, as a new comer I do still have problems aligning the train works but practice, practice, practice.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Edited by nlapietr
  • Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a beautiful Wittnauer 11arg movement that I bought off a jewler for 10 dollars. I figured that I could easily find a suitable case to fit the movement. To this date I have been unable to find a home for this movement. A year ago I ordered a case off of ebay that matched with my movement. When the package arrived at my house it was empty. The Wittnauer 11arg movement is based off an as 1361. Does anybody know where I can find obscure parts/ know where I can get a suitable case?

• By Rafael
      Hi, 
      Can someone please explain to me how on earth do i unwind this Seiko 5126A movement prior to reassembly? (Picture attached).
      No manual winding as far as I could find and the winding screw on top of the bridge is not counterturning automatically when I push back the click and basically nothing happens. I can unscrew it but this just releases the screw.
      I'll mention that I did experimented with this movement (it's my watch) and first time accidently removed the bridge with power still left. No visible harm was found and after reassembly (hopefully a proper one) everything seemed in order (except for the oiling and cleaning which I haven't yet performed and is due now).
      Thanks!
      Rafael

• By CaptCalvin
      Today I show off what is probably the most accurate Seiko NH35 in existence.
      Let's see what this brand spankin' new Invicta does on the timegrapher:

Oof. Ya hate ta see it. I know these numbers aren't anything to cry over for an 80 dollar automatic, but considering how these days microbrands stick this movement in watches costing hundreds more, and Seiko themselves with the equivalent 4R in watches costing even more, it's just not great. The rate itself to me is a trivial matter as nudging on the regulator is a trivial task. But what speaks to the quality of a movement in my eyes is the consistency of that rate in different positions. With 12 seconds per day difference across positions, middling amplitude, and fluctuating rate while static, albeit slight, is all just a bit "meh" to me. 
      Let's crack it open and see what we can do.
      Hairspring seems to be pulling towards stud.

Hairspring removed from balance and mounted on cock and we can see the full extent of the malformity. That collet is a good ways off from the jewel.
      Few hours of sweat later:

Much better! Regulator now runs the full length of the terminal curve without disturbance and collet is centered on jewel.
      Let's check out what else I saw:

Some places are absolutely flooded.

While others just barely got any. A good thing I intervened. This thing needed to be redone top to bottom.

Stripped apart, ready to get rid of the crappy factory lube job, and get a real, proper lube job.
      All put together, lubed, and few rounds of dynamic poising later:

Massive boost in amplitude,  runs on rails and a measly 1 second difference across all positions. Wasn't lying when I said "probably the most accurate Seiko NH35 in existence." See for yourself.
      Isn't it at the moment a bit of a waste that this souped up NH35 is being trapped inside its Invicta skin? What do you think? 
    • By Krishan
      Hi, so I recently got a seiko 5 snk809 and it was working fine, I then decided to regulate it as it was losing about 1 minute a day. After I regulated it it was working fine then stopped so I shook it to wind it up and then it started working. After 5 minutes it stopped again so I wound it up and it would work but then stop after a couple of minutes. I checked to see if the watch was being winded and it was, so the watch had power but just wouldn't move, I dont know why this is, the watch has power but will only run for a minute or two when I shake it, this hasn't happened before to this watch, so if anyone could help that would be great.
      Thanks
    • By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a seiko 7548-700f that I bought at a flea market for 15 dollars. Very beat up. Heavy scratches on the back near the lugs. Looks like the previous owner didn't know how to take a case back off properly. Last year during a battery change the screwdriver slipped and i hit the coil block. I managed to replace it without trouble. Starting a couple of months ago it started losing time. LOTS of time. I would take it off overnight and in the morning it would be 5 hours behind the correct time. Happens no matter what position the watch is in. I suspect that this is because the hole for the center wheel is not circular anymore. I know this means I need a service but I can not afford one. I am in highschool with no job. I have posted similar threads to this on several different sites, but no one is helpful. They tell me to get a job or to just pay to service it. What should I do? Should I learn to service it myself or is it even worth it?