Looking for info on FE 5612 (Cupillard 5612) Movement

nlapietr

Question

Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.  FE 5612 is stamped on the movement plate and when I looked that up I found pictures of the exact movement on the Ranfft Watches site.  So I guess I have two questions.  First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.   Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely (do they ever?) and I am wondering if I have something misplaced as the only description I could find states: "Strange.  Train and Hand Gear separately driven by barrel (cf. MSR T43)."   I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.

Thanks for any and all information.

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.

Thatis normal when buying low priced watches from India. Now you're the owener of a frankenwatch of the Mumbai specials variety.

Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely.

Here we finds parts and documentation the same way you do, that is, searching the Internet. Service manuals are not available for all movements, or sometime they just consist of a part list. Since I suppose you're a beginner it is quite normal that you're having some difficulty putting back together a watch movement.

I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.

Cousins UK has the stem and you can fit a crown of your liking.

BTW, we've a dedicated section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nlapietr said:

First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.

I don't know that Seiko has ever used anything other than Seiko movements, but definitely not in a case marked 6309. What you have is "bitsa" watch cobbled together out of parts that were not originally intended to go together, or as @jdm says a "Frankenwatch".

4 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement

There are a variety of sources on the internet where technical information can be found. Cousins has a good selection, as does The Watch Guy , and many of us on here have accumulated data over the years that may not be found via a Google search, so it's always worth asking if you otherwise draw a blank. Mostly what you will find though is parts lists, although some do also contain technical details. Your best bet going forwards is to remember to photograph every step of the tear down as you go, at least that way you will be able to reassemble it the way that it was. You are unlikely to find a service manual though, and this is where learning how each part of the watch functions. When you understand that problem solving becomes much easier, but if you get stuck just ask.

2889_FE 5601,5602,5606,5611,5612,5616.pdf

The above is from Cousins.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

BTW, we've a dedicated section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Like this?

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Like this?

Thank you for making me notice my morning mistake. Always good to have a friendly fellow member to watch over my shoulders :biggrin:

1 minute ago, jdm said:

Always good to have a friendly fellow member to watch over my shoulders 

Never anything but friendly :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jdm said:

Thatis normal when buying low priced watches from India. Now you're the owener of a frankenwatch of the Mumbai specials variety.

Here we finds parts and documentation the same way you do, that is, searching the Internet. Service manuals are not available for all movements, or sometime they just consist of a part list. Since I suppose you're a beginner it is quite normal that you're having some difficulty putting back together a watch movement.

Cousins UK has the stem and you can fit a crown of your liking.

All,

Thanks for the replies and information.  I usually buy my project watches off goodwill.com at a cost of about $10.00 average so I expect this type of thing sometimes.  It is still a good learning experience.  And yes, as a new comer I do still have problems aligning the train works but practice, practice, practice.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Edited by nlapietr
  • Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• By CharDav
      Hi All
      Any ideas how I can improve the look of this calendar ring?
      The staining seems to have got underneath the lacquer.  I've not tried anything yet as I'm a little hesitant at using any liquid on it for fear of damaging the lacquer further.  i'm still learning...
      Many thanks

• By richiesgr
      Hi
      I've tried to service a tiny Seiko 2601 Automatic movement very small for me (18 mm)
      So I finished  yesterday all was ok I've rewinded and I was happy because the balance started I've not checked amplitude or precision (for me just ticking it's already something)
      Today I check and the watch have stopped and do not restart even when I rewind manually. 
      Now when I put the main spring back in the barrel I've broken the end part at the opposite side of the pinion it was like a V because I don't have a main  spring rewinder so I make it manually (Shame on me).
      So I suspect that the main spring is not clamped in the barrel and it's just spinning inside without giving any power to the movement.
      The question is what method can I use to check my assumption. Not forget It's an automatic movement.
      Thanks  
    • By RNS
      Good day all,
      I'm a recent 30 year retiree and elected to start cleaning some of my older watches that ended up in a box wrapped in a towel.  One in particular, a gift from my grandfather, began working with a new battery but the crystal appears foggy.
      I would appreciate specific instructions for removing the stem/ crown and cleaning the crystal from an 1980 Seiko with the 6030A movement.
      Thank you in advance.
      Regards,
      Rick

• By DanteFalcioni
      I recently purchased what I call a “Franken-watch” Seiko from a seller on eBay from India. As I’m sure many of you know by now there are hundreds of listings (see screenshot below) for cheap Seiko watches with weird dials, most likely repainted. They aren’t fully “fake” as most of them come with genuine Seiko movements. My Retro Watches has a good video where he looks at a watch he bought from a dealer similar to this if you’re curious, see link below.
      https://youtu.be/G_m4b3OBEMI
      Anyways I thought one of these cheap weird watches would be a fun one to play around with as my first project, and I paid $20CAD for mine which I thought to be good especially if the movement inside was genuine Seiko. First problem I noticed was the bracelet (which was cheap and terrible) was held in by shoulder-less spring bars which would be fine if the lugs had holes but they do not so I had to saw the bracelet off so I could put another one on (see wreckage below). There’s more but I won’t bore you too much..
      MY MAIN PROBLEM:
      The watch came with a Seiko 6349A (23J) movement which is a variation of the Seiko 6309 (17J) movement. The movement was held into the case only by the crown (see pictures below) and didn’t have a movement ring. As I understand this is bad because the movement isn’t securely held in the case by anything. I’ve tried to find one on eBay but I’ve had no luck, and I can’t find anywhere that has the ring size so I can’t try and find an aftermarket one. 

Does anyone know where I can get one of these movement holder rings? Is it even possible to get one off of CousinsUK or Esslinger or somewhere? Do any of you have one I could buy? I am very stuck and any help is greatly appreciated!

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I have a beautiful Wittnauer 11arg movement that I bought off a jewler for 10 dollars. I figured that I could easily find a suitable case to fit the movement. To this date I have been unable to find a home for this movement. A year ago I ordered a case off of ebay that matched with my movement. When the package arrived at my house it was empty. The Wittnauer 11arg movement is based off an as 1361. Does anybody know where I can find obscure parts/ know where I can get a suitable case?