Case issues !!

Having been in the business for many years I have recently come across a couple of watches that have had issues I’ve not seen before. Out of the case the watches work perfectly with great amplitude and timekeeping. Once inside the case and the case clamps are tightened, the timekeeping is terrible and both watches I’ve serviced stop !! I’ve tried tightening the case screws in various orders and tried the stem in several combinations but to no avail. The only conclusion I’ve come to is distortion of the case.

Loosening of the case screws solves the issue but loose screws are not good!! Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The honor goes to other watches too, not just Omega.  I have a Peseux that dose the same. My late watchmaker showed one that had no screws to tighten, stopped without hands and crystal or stem installed. 

Sorry Peter don't mean to sound discouraging or disagree, most common cause is the dial plate though.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hold the crown when in winding position, move the click away from the crown wheel, and then while holding the crown let it slowly unwind. I recollect that you must remove the automatic device bridge first, but maybe I'm wrong. You can first try without removing the automatic device bridge.
    • nevenbekriev- You nailed it with your description of me and my reaction when the clock started ticking again. I am a newbie.  I love the sound and idea of mechanical clocks but the idea of owning one and trying to keep them running has never appealed to me. My wife bought this one and an antique German wall clock.  When I looked into having someone repair them for me, the universal response was "it's really expensive to work on them, you should just replace the movement". So, I had nothing to lose, I started researching them and opened them up. The wife is happy because she hears the sound of the clocks again. But I have gone down the "accuracy" rabbit hole. In the vertical position, the balance wheel was not floating. It was sitting on the bottom of the frame. I adjusted the lower spring collet and got it floating. It easily passed the 270 degree 3 to 5 minute oscillation test. It took 8 minutes for the wheel to completely stop moving.  I put it the unit back in the movement and checked the safety pin. It does not touch the safety roller anywhere in +/-270 degrees rotation from neutral position. But the amplitude of the rotation with the spring fully wound is weak based on what you are saying. It rotates +/-90 degrees from the neutral position.  No, I did not take the movement completely apart.  That seemed way outside my skill set at the time. There is a reason I became an electrical engineer and not a mechanical engineer. I am much more comfortable with moving electrons than tiny moving metal parts. Will I do it in the long run? Anything can happen. I don't seem to be able to let it go.
    • Isn't that the same guy who told Zelenskyy to escalate the war with Russia/Putin when they already had a peace deal? 2 years later and we have half a million young Ukranian boys dead. He doesn't seem very clever...
    • Thanks guys.  quick question. For automatic movement, particularly this one. can I power down the main spring by pushing this rachet down?  i've gotten pretty used to SW210 and powering down a manual movement. But so far i've only been waiting for the auto movement to run out of juice before opening the case.