Newbie Fail

Good afternoon,

So this is an embarrassing one but I guess we all start somewhere, after successfully completing Level 2 of Mark's online course I took the confidence and started my first project which was to dismantle then reassemble a Tissot Calibre 782-1. A week or so ago I took the movement apart cleaned it and kept it all in a dust tray. I've since been away for almost a week and back at the desk to reassemble. Following a very frustrating couple of days I can't even get started!! I took photos but clearly not enough as am stuck at the first hurdle of not knowing which way round the wheels go in to get started.

I've found a parts list and an illustrated glossary of watch parts on here but i'm struggling to get going.

I was perhaps a bit optimistic to think the movement that I practiced on was going to be similar to the one i'm now working on as a project.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction, maybe a link to a video or step by step reassembly?

Thanks in advance.

#ihavesomuchtolearn

31 minutes ago, Juniorp72 said:

Following a very frustrating couple of days I can't even get started!! I took photos but clearly not enough as am stuck at the first hurdle of not knowing which way round the wheels go in to get started.

Not uncommon, not a problem but a great chance to exercise out most useful tool, the brain.

Try not to just physically check which parts fits where, rather go back to books or training, absorbs the fundamentals, what is the first wheel? How the second wheel looks like, BTW why they never mention a second wheel? And so so on. You won't have to count teeth and ratios but great if you do. Why, why, why ask yourself. Unlike other things in life the good answer is there waiting.

• Like 1

Techsheet and schematic diagram should be available specially for good ole tissot. watchweasol is generous with providing link to techsheets.

Generally gears and pinions get smaller as you go from barrel to escapewheel, mostly complications vary and involve multi- mech. 

You may find a walkthrough on this caliber.  

I remember when I was in school, I had completed all my work and was (literally) practicing my yo-yo skills, and my teacher gave me a minute repeater that was totally disassembled. I think he just wanted to keep me busy for the rest of the week!

As I had never seen one, I started by seeing which bridges fit where. Then which components could fit under that bridge. Little by little it got decoded, and what a rush! Remember that nothing ever needs to be forced, everything has a function and it's all logical.

I do still take pics of the click spring on some 70s ETAs (ugh), those can be mindbenders. The old Tissot movements were well made, if you get really stuck post a pic and the folks here will sort you.

• Like 2

Hi  Find attached the tech sheets for the Tissot 782 and 782-.1.     Nicklesilvers post is the clue, see what fit where and don't force any thing and eventually it will ll fall into place           good luck next time make little drawings as to which way,   up things go to go with pictures.  Nucejoes advice is good work from the mainspring (Largest) to the escape wheel.

2790_Tissot 781.1,782.1,783.1,784.1 (5).pdf 2789_Tissot 781,782,783,784 (3).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a totally diferent clue from Nickelsilver's story,  him given something to do instead of yo yo ing isn't neccessarily good for all,   I would have been better off had I built my career on yo yo ing than nuclear engineering, thats for sure.:lol:

• Like 1

I got a totally diferent clue from Nickelsilver's story,  him given something to do instead of yo yo ing isn't neccessarily good for all,   I would have been better off had I built my career on yo yo ing than nuclear engineering, thats for sure.[emoji38]
I was pretty good! I could do the Atom Smasher! But this was pre-Youtube days, a year later I understood I was a better watchmaker than yo-yoer. Still impresses the kids though.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:
1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:
I got a totally diferent clue from Nickelsilver's story,  him given something to do instead of yo yo ing isn't neccessarily good for all,   I would have been better off had I built my career on yo yo ing than nuclear engineering, thats for sure.emoji38.png

I was pretty good! I could do the Atom Smasher! But this was pre-Youtube days, a year later I understood I was a better watchmaker than yo-yoer. Still impresses the kids though.

That atom Smashing skill shows an exceptionally high level of hand and brain coordination,  which you put use in watchmaking and the results you got proves the point. Us human being tend to enjoy doing what we are good at or is vecre versa.

• Like 1

Pictures are invaluable but sods law says the picture you need was not taken!  Having been in same situation, I now put related parts (ie train and bridge and screws) in their own pot, list the items by name (good way of leaning the names of parts). I make sketches of springs and the way they fit, note which way up the pinion is on gears when assembled or the longer pivot, note if screws are same length etc.  and make small sketch of orientation etc if not obvious, note which way mainspring is coiled etc.  I inspect each part and mark my list with a red biro tick if all ok, when cleaned and rechecked I cross the red tick,  When lubed I put a circle or 'o' at the top of the tick and the grade of lube used (ie 9010).  Make sure you have recorded each disassembly stage before moving to next stage, especially if parts are dislodged as you can check where they came from before you lose the basic layout etc. Always check under bridges etc as there may be a small part stuck to it that suddenly appears in your parts pot when you have cleaned them!  Some may think this over the top, but when learning you cannot have enough aids.  Probably shorter notes nowadays but still do it for complicated areas.

Edited by canthus

On 8/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, canthus said:

Pictures are invaluable but sods law says the picture you need was not taken!   

This is all great advice. Only at it a short time myself, but never seem to have taken the right photos that I'll need later. Trying to make myself slow down, think this level of detail would be a good way to do that. 

And why don't they call it a second wheel?