Hi from Geelong, Australia

Hi everyone,

This is something I always wanted to get into and my Seiko 7016-8001 chronograph just stopping (among a raft of other issues) has only made me want to do this even more. I won't be starting with my watch. It will be going to a repairer in NSW who I have spoken to who has told me that he can do it. The repairers that the watch was sent to via the only shop that we have near where I live have not even opened the watch. Even Seiko who I called said no after I told them the calibre(?) number from the caseback. Both have just simply said 'Cannot be repaired.' Not the right thing to say to someone like myself who has rebuilt all sorts of things in my life.

I am not sure if I want to start collecting watches or clocks, but who knows where this will lead?

I am 57, oops 58 now. Is that too late to be looking at picking up a hobby such as this? I have been scouring the internet looking at things, videos and have ended up here.

Mark looks to be incredibly accomplished. I have also been perusing his courses as trying to work out which tools to consider/not consider is all a bit overwhelming so no doubt his courses make those suggestions as they go.

Anyway, hope to learn things.

Michael.

522910700_watchcopy.thumb.jpg.b647ae7c32c6708a7d010b671c8a491b.jpg

• 5 months later...

I didn't want to start a new topic, but I thought I would show you what I did this afternoon.

First thing I did was solder up an 8 pin mini Din plug to cable. Used my new smooth jaw pliers and they worked well.

Then I pulled this apart and fixed it.switch.thumb.jpg.9647bb4e7e647b558f2387fddc18a829.jpg

5mm square and 1.4mm thick. It's a momentary tactile switch from an LED light that I have. For working on the car, but will be using it to light the work area I am setting up at the moment. Used the bent nose smooth jaw pliers, an X-Acto knife and my new pointy nose tweezers.

Used the knife to get the tabs of the cover open from the plastic body. Then used some acetone and the knife to clean the contacts. Then cleaned the 3mm diameter spring/contact. Took the brass button out with its plastic insulator. Cleaned all that and then used the tweezers to put the top back together. Put the disc spring/contact back in then put the base back into the top. Gently used a pair of pliers to ease the metal sides back into place then squeezed down the tabs to secure it all.

It now works as it should. And I did it without a magnifier.

Why? Because I didn't want to buy 100 from India just to get one new one.

I looked at what I did and given the size, I reckon after I get my clocks sorted out, I'm going to look more seriously at Mark's course.

I don't know many people in Australia that still have analog watches. I don't know why because I much prefer the look of an analog watch. I think some of the smart watches that are on the market should be called ugly watches. Would be much more accurate.

Just had my 31st anniversary with the my wife. She bought me a pocket watch. Had it engraved. It's a quartz, but I love it.

Edited by Michael1962
  • Like 1