Increasing stem height

I'm attempting to place a 11.5''' movement into a 11.5''' case, but the case is intended for an as2066 I believe (stem height 2.86mm!) and I've got a eta2772 (2.0mm). Maybe not the best matchup, but we learn as we go. It's a funky case and an available movement. What can be done?

I think a mismatch of .1 or .2 can be fudged, depending on the movement/case. If I had a tall hour wheel and hand clearance on the dial I could maybe raise the dial above the movement by .1 or .2mm by locking in the feet all the way. .85mm is some serious elevation.

A shim ring of brass between the case dial-flange and the dial  would be ideal I think, although I don't have the tools to make one. Are items like this available to purchase?

My current best idea is to find a piece of plastic around .8mm thick and cut myself a ring shim, although for a nice job I'd need a cutting protractor effective for small radiuses, and I'd be pleased to hear of a recommendation.

Is this all incredibly uncouth? Are there preferred techniques?

Furthering the plastic shim ring idea, I'm thinking (besides that this is all a silly idea) that I might get by with a hard red gasket or a hard white crystal i-ring, which I can get in the required thickness of .8 or .9mm (respectively) at the required OD, with the red gasket having a smaller ID thus creating more of a flange for the dial.

I don't really have any exposure to the hard red gaskets, so I'm hoping they are as hard as I think they are and will do the job until I can find a more suitable case for the movement (or vice versa)

I've been pondering exactly the same problem for a couple of days but luckily my problem has gone away.

The best solution I could come up with is solid wire. It is available in all colours and in 0.8 mm thickness on a 3m roll and only a couple of pounds. It's springy enough to make a ring to space the dial away from the case and set your stem in the right place.

Search ebay for jewellers cord or wire.

Both great suggestions! I might try the wire trick, I have lots of different wire thicknesses on hand from electric guitar strings that might work. The dial flange on this case is very narrow though, so the round wire might not sit on the flange and give enough height.

@AndyHull I don't know why I didn't think 3d printer! I've been dropping in on 3d printing discussions in other threads, I think in my own mind dismissing them as not suitable for watches, but this would be a perfect application.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve used date spacer rings with no-date movements. Also shim washers should be available in any thickness and diameter. I saw some at McMaster-Carr that are a stack and you peel layers off to get an exact height. Not sure if those come small enough but dial dots and shims should do it. 

I also did one where I “split the difference”. Date movement so excessive spacing causes the “sunken date” syndrome. I set the dial flat on a thin date spacer and secured the clamp opposite the stem well; but got creative with clamps on the stem side to have the movement sit at a slight angle so the stem operated properly but it was secure in the case. (And the date looked normal). 

I’ve used date spacer rings with no-date movements. Also shim washers should be available in any thickness and diameter. I saw some at McMaster-Carr that are a stack and you peel layers off to get an exact height. Not sure if those come small enough but dial dots and shims should do it. 

I also did one where I “split the difference”. Date movement so excessive spacing causes the “sunken date” syndrome. I set the dial flat on a thin date spacer and secured the clamp opposite the stem well; but got creative with clamps on the stem side to have the movement sit at a slight angle so the stem operated properly but it was secure in the case. (And the date looked normal). 

.08 is too high for shimming plus it messes with the height of the hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait- .08mm? That’s .003 inch. Nothing! A sheet of paper!

Did you mean .8mm? That’s .031” and more significant. 

I think you will be surprised with what will work. But another movement, better aligned with the case may be the right answer. 

Wait- .08mm? That’s .003 inch. Nothing! A sheet of paper!
Did you mean .8mm? That’s .031” and more significant. 

I think you will be surprised with what will work. But another movement, better aligned with the case may be the right answer. 

.8 not .08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some vintage stainless steel cases that originaly housed automatic eta movements, will dig in my bag of tricks for one specific to 2772, hopefuly will find one and I'll be happy to send it to you, meanwhile you can check ebay for vintage west end watches and rumanel, fortis ..to see if you like the looks of the cases, west ends  come with a dust cover too.

Regards Joe

oh @AndyHull, reading your 2018 posts about £4.04 I'm not sure if I'm demoralized or reinspired. It's been about a year since I've even seen a mechanical watch for sale in thrift stores here, and I think they were selling the questionable watch for $50. It's been slim pickings lately, I keep going but either nothing's coming in, or there's way more people picking them up before I get there. Still have lots to work on fortunately, but missing that rush of a hit. . .

I think @Tudor might be right, I've started looking for a movement more suitable to the case, but will try the spacer ring anyway. I'd like to see your cases @Nucejoe, I hope I'm not as picky as I probably am, looking for something I'm going to wear for a bit :)