Best way to film a teardown?

So, I’ve got myself in a pickle by tearing down a movement I had no experience with... without taking photos/video. 

I’m interested in people’s video setups for those of you who film what you work on. Anyone willing to share their “studio” setup?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum  If you post some pictures of the movement , caliber and make members will  be able to help.  Normaly we use a mobile phone or digital cameras and take pictures at each stage. There are others who video the tear down and re assemble.  there are quite a few of the latter on the site available through the search function in the top right of the home page.                    

Thanks - I'm looking for similar and haven't found video of a teardown (Hamilton 772). What I DID find is another 772 movement on eBay - so I purchased and I'll do another teardown, only this time, video along the way.

I tried taking some photos with my Nikon, even with a macro lens.  And interestingly enough, my iPhone does a much better close-up job.

I just use a compact camera. There's no secret to it. What I find an absolute must, is to keep the sub-groups of parts together and photograph them. Then, If anything gets mixed up or goes missing during cleaning, I can get it back in the right group, with the right screws.

I use my ipad and take pictures as I go, working in the reverse order as the reassembly progresses 

I also group the pieces in separate areas and, once completed, take a picture of the completely stripped watch parts. 

I do that  just in case bits get mixed up or, heaven forbid, lost!

It's no use relying on the "oh, I don't need to take a picture of them bits, I'll remember what I have just done

and where they go."

No, you won't!  And  chances are, if you are unsure how to do something..................you'll try the wrong way first and use up a lot of frustration and time in the process.

The problem with that, is the frustration never runs out and is self replacing. (Unlike a nice pint!)

I also keep most of the pictures to use as a reference.

1 hour ago, BrianR said:

I’m using this cheap as chips digital scope. Simply focus and tap the top for a photo or video, here’s an example of a photo I took earlier today. Need a lap top

I have a similar one and it takes great photos and video, but I don't think I could record an actual teardown with it as the maximum distance of the camera to the deck is insufficient to allow one to get in there with tools while recording - especially without blocking the camera's view of the good stuff.

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 11:05 AM, Negot8or said:

So, I’ve got myself in a pickle by tearing down a movement I had no experience with... without taking photos/video. 

I’m interested in people’s video setups for those of you who film what you work on. Anyone willing to share their “studio” setup?

Thanks!

I usually do not record video, but definitely take photos. Taking pictures with iPhone via microscope is the perfect way, but sometimes it is just easier to use the same phone with x10 loupe as shown below.

IMG_1971 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1972 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1969 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that no timegrapher is required during disassembly, visual inspection, cleaning, drying, re-assembling, oiling, winding... what else... oh yes, during attaching the watch strap or bracelet, balance staff replacement, crystal replacement, hydrostatic pressure test ?and it's definitely not needed for taking photographs... I think ??

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1