Use of shellac or alternatives for filing

Ishima

Hey gang, out to get some opinions/recommendations, occasionally me and my colleague need to file something really awkward and i've long been aware jewellers will make use of shellac for this purpose.

Only problem being is we're not allowed naked flame in our location and I've doubted i could heat shellac up enough through alternative means, not knowing how much heat is needed.
I have learnt of something called Polymorph, a possible alternative, a plastic you can soften in hot water. (we have a heated ultrasonic tank) coming in ~40c/60c varients. (the higher temp being a bit stronger when cooled) 

Of course, i could also probably get a heat gun, which i imagine would suffice for shellac, and would have other possible applications, but i dont really want to bill my employer for something that will no doubt raise a health and safety red flag, so it would end up coming out of pocket. 

What do you think?

Edited by Ishima

Nope, i mean file.

I'll give you an example, adjusting a bracelet end piece so that it will fit a watch where a customer has lost that crucial part that attached at the case, the opening is too narrow for the bracelet by a milimeter or two, and the piece is not strong and is shaped awkwardly to resist any easy way of securing it with a vice, and you cant very well effectively hold it in your hand, so if you use shellac or mouldable plastic you could secure the piece to a plate of metal that could then be placed in a vice.

Edited by Ishima

I have use polymorph before in dentistry. It is very tacky when hot but when it is cool, it loses it adhesiveness. So if you use it for holding a work piece, it would probably fall out when you start to file it. It is also slightly pliable and would allow the work piece to wiggle.

Shellac or jeweller's compound would still be your best bet. You could bring it to the smoking corner to use an open flame. Or use a soldering heatgun with adjustable temperature and airflow.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ishima said:

Nope, i mean file.

I'll give you an example, adjusting a bracelet end piece so that it will fit a watch where a customer has lost that crucial part that attached at the case, the opening is too narrow for the bracelet by a milimeter or two, and the piece is not strong and is shaped awkwardly to resist any easy way of securing it with a vice, and you cant very well effectively hold it in your hand, so if you use shellac or mouldable plastic you could secure the piece to a plate of metal that could then be placed in a vice.

Ah! Now I understand you. You could possibly use epoxy, in the same way that people use it to attach a nut to stuck-on screw down backs. I use acetone to remove.

• Like 1