Rolex Oyster 7205 Bracelet Adjustment

Hey everyone,

I’ve finally sourced a bracelet that has some stretch and loose rivets for my Oysterdate. Curious if theres a way to rebuck the rivets to tighten things up or...? Also resizing looks like I have to remove a link and it seems the only way is to undo the rivet?

Kind thanks,

Joey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rolex bracelets I have adjusted have had removable links which have screwed in rivets.  Maybe this one is just pinned. Are there any markings on the inside such as arrows indicating the direction of removal. 

• Like 1

There is no easy way.
I recommend Classic Watch Repair in Hong Kong (Michael Young).
It may cost 250-300 GBP for repair but will make it like new.
I have used their services and been very happy.
Watch youtube for "rolex bracelet repair michael young"There is no easy way.
Watch youtube for "rolex bracelet repair michael young"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

There is no easy way.

I believe that local watchmakers won't do that as it is now normal for them to eschew any job that's outside their set routine.

Work is a matter of removing one or both caps, which have to be destroyed. Then new ones must be made from SS on the lathe. 

A bit of accurate work which rightly commands fair pay. 

There is no easy way.
Watch youtube for "rolex bracelet repair michael young"There is no easy way.
Watch youtube for "rolex bracelet repair michael young"

Is the also known by username reckness in the watchuseek forums?

I believe that local watchmakers won't do that as it is now normal for them to eschew any job that's outside their set routine.
Work is a matter of removing one or both caps, which have to be destroyed. Then new ones must be made from SS on the lathe. 
A bit of accurate work which rightly commands fair pay. 

I agree i rather do it myself. And i dont believe new links have to be made like that im careful to remove the rivets. The rivets on the other hand im sure have to be replaced. (Coming from an aircraft background)

I might just work slowly and see what happens as there isnt much info here about it.

1 minute ago, joeyfrost said:

I might just work slowly and see what happens as there isnt much info here about it.

Search "Rolex bracelet repair" on Youtube, there are a few videos that may help.

16 hours ago, joeyfrost said:

I agree i rather do it myself. And i dont believe new links have to be made like that im careful to remove the rivets. The rivets on the other hand im sure have to be replaced. (Coming from an aircraft background)

The few in the trade who know are seldom on forums sharing their secrets.
Watchguy.co.uk is great, he often talks about a lot of little tricks of the trade.
Rolex straps are a bit of a black art.

I would be keen to see how it goes, let us know.
I am not able to fabricate parts like that so I would always delegate this job to someone else.

Search "Rolex bracelet repair" on Youtube, there are a few videos that may help.

Didnt find anything that pertains to this bracelet. Curious to see how these rivets look. Better question is where to source the replacement rivets. Im pretty sure thats the only thing making it loose. Wear on the rivet circumferences.

I don't think these are rivets, as they are never bucked. Just caps for the pin. They may have the shift knurled to improve friction to the link hole.

Interesting i was thinking that too before taking it apart that it’s probably two piece pressed fit but not a true rivet

Looks like the 7205-19 is made in the old way,  hence the sides to cover the clips that make up the bracelet.
These usually gets loose when the clips opens a bit, you seldom get a wear on the pin itself.
I gues to tighten it you have to tighten the clips and flaten them out on the back.
Here someone has removed a link in a magic way by just opening the clip, works well if you got the right tools.

7205_Rivet.jpg.8fa29aa589e60301c4a45a97352a5650.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Old post but thought I'd comment, as it is very easy to destroy these bracelets...

Michael Young restored a C&I bracelet for my 5512. And even restored, it's really floppy and, well, not spectacular. But, there's nothing like a vintage rivet bracelet- very thin and very light. Feels a lot like a leather strap. (He also repaired the end links via laser welding as the prior owner "customized" it to fit a 19mm lug width watch)

But the links/rivets DO wear. Once the links open up (which you can see on the back side) the pins/rivets begin to wear. Michael opens the links and sleeves the rivets to make up the lost space as needed. Then he closes the links. As thin as the metal looks, it is quite difficult to open them without distorting them. The gap where the ends meet on the underside is 0-0.003" wide. really no gap on a brand new one (I recently sold an NOS 19mm Tudor branded bracelet)

And as Old Hippy noted: they always look like links have been removed. More modern (9315/93150/93250 etc.) bracelets are tapered on the link edges, so they flow together. Rivet bracelets (both Rolex and C&I) have parallel sides to the links so they are "stepped" from 20 to 18mm at the clasp. Also, the end plates were polished and the links were brushed.

C&I rivets are "hollow" (they have a small pin hole in each end) and the Rolex rivets are solid.

I don't know if a threaded faux rivet could be used to replace a real one- I think the faux ones are larger diameter.

• Like 1

Old post but thought I'd comment, as it is very easy to destroy these bracelets...
Michael Young restored a C&I bracelet for my 5512. And even restored, it's really floppy and, well, not spectacular. But, there's nothing like a vintage rivet bracelet- very thin and very light. Feels a lot like a leather strap. (He also repaired the end links via laser welding as the prior owner "customized" it to fit a 19mm lug width watch)
But the links/rivets DO wear. Once the links open up (which you can see on the back side) the pins/rivets begin to wear. Michael opens the links and sleeves the rivets to make up the lost space as needed. Then he closes the links. As thin as the metal looks, it is quite difficult to open them without distorting them. The gap where the ends meet on the underside is 0-0.003" wide. really no gap on a brand new one (I recently sold an NOS 19mm Tudor branded bracelet)
And as Old Hippy noted: they always look like links have been removed. More modern (9315/93150/93250 etc.) bracelets are tapered on the link edges, so they flow together. Rivet bracelets (both Rolex and C&I) have parallel sides to the links so they are "stepped" from 20 to 18mm at the clasp. Also, the end plates were polished and the links were brushed.
C&I rivets are "hollow" (they have a small pin hole in each end) and the Rolex rivets are solid.
I don't know if a threaded faux rivet could be used to replace a real one- I think the faux ones are larger diameter.

Great info tudor thanks a bunch. I opened one rusted out one and removed it. Opened it up and see exactly what youre talking about. Very comfortable but bery difficult to repair, correctly.