Certina crown "K" logo

Bopmd

Hello,

I have a question regarding some Certina crowns. I have owned several Certinas with this very same logo on the crown. I was wondering if these are related to Certina in any way? At first I though it stood for Kurth Freres, but I really don't know.

Thank you very much for the help.

Snapchat-1157695731.jpg

10 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi Certina was founded about 1888 by Adolf and Alfred Kurth, The K is for Kurth placed on crowns of early Certina watches. Hope this helps 

I also find watch history very amusing and interesting; this is first time I seen that K on a Certina watch and immediately my thirst for knowledge kicks in.
When you say early Certinas, which timespan do this include, from the Grana time to when?

Most of my vintage pre 1950 Grana/Certinas has no stamp on the crown, by the appearance of those crowns they look quite modern.

Could it be the K stamped on the crowns was not very common since that logo was for a German Glashutte watchmaker named Ernst Kurtz so it couldn´t be put on Certinas out of copyright issues?

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, HSL said:

I also find watch history very amusing and interesting; this is first time I seen that K on a Certina watch and immediately my thirst for knowledge kicks in.
When you say early Certinas, which timespan do this include, from the Grana time to when?

Most of my vintage pre 1950 Grana/Certinas has no stamp on the crown, by the appearance of those crowns they look quite modern.

Could it be the K stamped on the crowns was not very common since that logo was for a German Glashutte watchmaker named Ernst Kurtz so it couldn´t be put on Certinas out of copyright issues?

After some more research I believe the K actually stands for Kleiser. They were a partsmanifacturer and it was common for watchmakers in Norway to have spare crowns from them. I saw a longines with one recently.