Junghans Ato-Matic movement.

Flubber

I just got an old wall clock that used to be my grandfathers. The movement it uses is an electro-mechanic Junghans Ato-Matic movement that looks interesting. I tried to just replace the battery but it would seem that was not enough and the clock stops after just a minute or so. I suspect it needs some oiling and cleaning or something. 

So my question is, does anyone know anything about such a movement ? Is it possible to "service" it ? If not, how do I choose a replacement movement that will fit and may use the hands (no seconds hand though) ? I tried browsing cousins for it but there were many and I got tired, besides it would be cool to use the original movement, I think.

Thank you !

Movements like these were meant to be replaced. But it's old enough that it still has screws and if I look at the video found that the link

https://youtu.be/UKDvSjjoPNc

It probably could be serviced but is not necessarily meant to be serviced but it would be a little easier than the modern plastic stuff that's definitely meant to be thrown away.

Then providing it doesn't have a secondhand you could easily replace it with a modern quartz movement. The vessel secondhand is going to be a dead giveaway cousin is not going to run nice and smooth like it once did. But there may be movements today that do have smooth moving secondhand I is haven't looked in the long time. Then when you're changing a movement the problem always is the hands a lot of time people would just replace the hands with whatever is recommended for the movement their use.

Also looks like the movement may occasionally be for sale on eBay at least was googling it I saw the references but they weren't there now

• Like 1

Hi  when replacing a quartz movement there are several things to take into account, the shaft length   What type of movement/hands are required,  Roundshaft,  Euroshaft,    I.Shaft     as they all differ as do hand styles   and also the size of the movement.  There are many distributers of quartz movements and many different prices,  Newgenerationclocks,    Clockparts.co.uk     Clockparts.com have a video on choosing a movement which may be worth a look.               cheers

Movement Identification Guide - Clock Spare Parts UK.html

• Like 1

I have successfully disassembled the movement and cleaned with some degreaser which seems to have worked even though most of the weheels were made of some kind of plastic. Ir was needed. 

My problem now is what I should use for lubrication ? I only have ordinary watch oils and greases from moebius ? I was thinking about using HP1300 for pivots and perhaps some 9504 or molykote on some bars and axels (?). Would that work ? Do I have to lubricate the teeths and/or leafs on the wheels.

For lubrication nothing on the teeth or the pinions typically. Use the 9504 on anything that is a high friction typically metal on metal will work fine. Technically for the plastic wheels they actually do make a lubrication for plastic. Then the HP oil should work fine on the balance pivots it's a really big heavy balance wheel in any way. I'm just not sure if you want to put anything on the plastic because I don't know if it's going to react with the plastic Or not.

• Like 1

I assembled the movement and lubricated as I saw fit and it was up and running !  But I think the plastic wheels were to brittle so when I tried to set the time some teeth broke :-( so now the clock stopped. I don't see any spare parts anywhere so I will buy a new, cheap, quartz movement instead, perhaps radio controlled.