Greetings

gaber

Dear fellow watch repairers,

I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Gabe.

This is a new hobby for me, but I'm one of these people who liked taking things apart as a kid.  I'm a theoretical physicist by profession, so I like how watches are more concrete.

Initially I saw watches as beautiful old objects to possess, but I'm discovering I'm getting more enjoyment out of tinkering with them.

So far I've followed Mark's first two courses, put together a modest workspace, and done my 6497 practice runs, and now feel ready for some first projects. 

I've discovered Felca watches, which seem slightly quirky on the outside but fairly normal on the inside.  So I bought a couple of cheap ones (from ca 1950) that run, but seem to need some help.

dark-watch-face.thumb.jpg.5a2f2d7d369aa5cff7ab0bfbe3ed2cf5.jpg

light-watch-front.thumb.jpg.7629c12feacaf628b04779d1a84a3a31.jpg

I'm living in Germany, but from the USA. 

By the way, any German members found a good source of parts/supplies?  The ones I've looked at do not want to sell to non-professionals, it seems.  I don't know why.  I've tried to register anyway, and I get booted once I reveal that I'm a hobbyist.  Do I just buy from outside Germany?  Cousins in the UK seems OK.

Anyway, very warm greetings to all of you!

Hello Gabe and welcome. Cousins is my first choice, and there are really no alternatives here with the same range. Those are two interesting looking dials. You might want to take some precautions with the lume, though, If it's crumbly. Do you have a Geiger counter at work?

Hi Klassiker,

Interesting question.  Thanks for the tip.  I believe there should be some equipment around that can do the job of a Geiger counter.  I will have to ask.  Do you think I should take a measurement?  I assume there is Radium in there...

Gabe

Hi Gabe   speedtimerkollection in europe is a seller of used parts/movements etc so maybe worthwhile having a look.  In the Uk  you have already found cousins. There is also A.G.Thomas, and Meadows and Passmore for clock parts  .  A look at thr British Horological Society's web site will reaval a few other I am sure.       cheers

• Like 1

No need for a measurement. I just wanted to warn you to be careful. There may very well be radium on them, and old lume very often crumbles to dust. it obviously makes sense to take precautions, without getting paranoid about it. If you search on here it has been discussed thoroughly a few times.

1 hour ago, Klassiker said:

There may very well be radium on them, and old lume very often crumbles to dust. it obviously makes sense to take precautions, without getting paranoid about it. 

Paranoia often prevails especially when every reader feels obliged to step in and save a  collector's life.

In the long term, continuos exposition or ingestion of radium cause cancer, but casual handling of a dial or hands do not.

It took 1,400 drinks of Radium for the poor guy to get  sick and die, possibly he may have died after 140, but you get the idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Byers

7 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I am sure Cousins will have much of what you need.  Shipping may always be an issue.  

Not an issue to Europe. My standard with unregistered mail is 10 days but I have got packags in less than a week sometime. 

• Like 1