Valjoux 7750 Date Only to replace Day/Date?

Question

Hello WRT! Glad to have found your site, the resources here are incredible for a beginning hobbyist like myself. 

I purchased a project LeJour 7000 (Valjoux 7750 powered) that is currently running hilariously fast- something like +2 hours per day. I purchased it with the intent to drop in a modern, more decorated 7750.

The LeJour has a Day/Date dial (Seen here) but I've found a date-only 7750 that would fit the bill. Is it possible to use this movement and just add the day wheel from my current movement? Is the underlying hardware all there?

Even better, what is the best way to research the parts necessary to do the conversion?

Thanks all!

8 answers to this question

Don't know unless you provide pictures of the spare movement I'm afraid. You will need a jumper, driving wheel, and dial washer in addition to the day wheel. It's a crapshoot whether or not you get all, some or none of these parts included on a movement meant for date-only. More than likely you're going to need to transplant at least some of these parts to the one you intend on using from the extracted movement.

If it was up to me I would try and save the old movement. Taking the original Valjoux out of this watch and sticking in a modern ETA would likely have a negative impact on its value.

Edited by CaptCalvin
  • Like 1

You need a copy of the tech manual for the 7750. There are many floating around. This will tell you what you are missing and how to put the assembly in. I have added several day comps to 7750s......its quite easy. As far as swapping movements it probably comes down to the fitment ie the watch movement ring. From what youve described it may be a fairy 1 to 1 swap. If im understanding you correctly youre gonna have a dial with a missing slot or vice versa. If you pm me your email I will send you the tech manuals. The 7750 is the one I specialize in......or rather its the one I started out working on and have spent the most time with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@CaptCalvin - I don't have a spare movement on hand, I was looking at buying a 25 jewel out of a Montblanc Meisterstuck which seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap. Here is an example with some photos. 

@Bauertime  - I will do some reading on addressing the hairspring, if it's a single part that needs to be addressed I can give it a go, but the watch has unknown service history so I'm not sure how worn the remainder of the movement is.

@bjd1020 - Thanks for the help! Yes, the concern is the blank space in the day slot. Is there a great deal of variance in movement sizes between 7750s that lack additional complications?  

4 hours ago, Displacement said:

@CaptCalvin - I don't have a spare movement on hand, I was looking at buying a 25 jewel out of a Montblanc Meisterstuck which seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap. Here is an example with some photos. 

@Bauertime  - I will do some reading on addressing the hairspring, if it's a single part that needs to be addressed I can give it a go, but the watch has unknown service history so I'm not sure how worn the remainder of the movement is.

@bjd1020 - Thanks for the help! Yes, the concern is the blank space in the day slot. Is there a great deal of variance in movement sizes between 7750s that lack additional complications?  

If you're going with the example in the link it does come fully equipped to take a day wheel with exception of the washer that ETA lists as "indicator distance piece". Your LeJour should have it. It's a little silver washer that sits on top of the day wheel so do keep in mind to transfer this part over.

7750 and derivatives should all be the same size with the exception of the Valgranges line (wider diameter) and that alarm-equipped one that Fortis modified that added considerable height.

Edited by CaptCalvin
  • Like 1

This thread has been incredible! Thank you to all of you for your help, you have built an incredible resource on this site and it has given me confidence to take this on.

My plan is to demagnetize the current movement, see where that and an adjustment get me, but replace the movement temporarily. The long term plan is to service the movement myself. Looking forward to learning more from you all!

• Similar Content

• By Mickeycz
      Hello,

I'm new here and into watch/horology world as well. I recently tried to replace the dial on my 7750 watch.
      1) Open the wathc case
      2) removed rotor
      3) removed stem (gentle push of remove stem pusher and pull the stem out)
      4) removed the movement from the case
      5) put movment to movement holder
      6) removed hands
      7) removed dial
      8) put new dial
      9) pressed the hands back, hovewer during setting it up I realized the movement is not running - even when I wind it up - it is solid/stable and not ticking at all.. 
      Kind of out of ideas what can went wrong, the movement was functional correctly before..

Thank you for any ideas.
      Mickey

• By Calvin
      Hello guys..
      I wanna ask..
      How to adjust my eta valjoux 7750 movement to be faster..
      Cause it slow 2-3 minute a day..
      Do i just need to move this part to the (+) sign?? Thankyouu

• By RJC87
      Hi guys! I have a watch that uses a Ronda 751 quartz movement (see pic). For those unfamiliar, it’s a small tonneau shaped movement - usually a woman’s size (5½ x 6¾ linge and 2.5mm thick) with the following specs:
      Linge Size: 5½ x 6¾, 2.50mm thick
      Hand Size: 120/70
      Stem: 401-1237
      Cell/Battery/Power Source: 379
      Tap Size: 10   I’d like to replace it with a mechanical movement: I started off looking for a direct drop in replacement but it’s proved very difficult. I haven’t found any modern movements with the same dimensions (although to be fair I haven’t had much luck finding a comprehensive listing of modern movements available). As far as the vintage movements go, (from here: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk) the ETA 2480 (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2482) is a good example of the vast majority of what’s available— the right dimensions but 1mm too thick. And for a 2.5mm movement, 1mm is a ton.    The Tissot 530 (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Tissot_530), and Enicar 672/678 (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Enicar_672) are the 2 that seem closest but they are still a half mil too thick. And worse, even if it fits, where would I even begin looking for one?   Does anyone one have any knowledge of a movement that would work or one I could modify a bit to fit? Or any idea the best place to look??   Thanks in advance for the help and I love the forum!!
    • By Giuseppe
      I'm having some unexpected behaviour from a eta 7750 that I'm trying to regulate after servicing.
      I went through service procedure using correct lubricants.
      Everything went fine. Actually I have some doubt on lubrication of incabloc wich I'm not sure I did correctly since I'm afraid that too much oil was placed in one of the two stones.
      The fact is that when I finished I wasn't brave enough to clean and lubricate it again ... shame on me but I felt that task to be very very difficult.
      Anyway after reassembling the watch I had it at my wrist for a week and it showed a great consistency at -10 sec a day.
      It'a stop grade movement and resting at night in DU, DD 9UP and 3UP positions always showed something between -14 -6
      I was very happy with that result and I thought that a little regulation would have brought it to a very fine time keeping.
      Then I reopened the caseback and slightly moved etachron arm, that was resting in a nearly neutral position, in the + direction.
      Nothing happened (measuring with timegrapher open source app)
      Did it again, another slight push.
      Nothing
      ? ok I must have gone the wrong direction, then pushed all the way toward   - 
      Nothing happened.
      Ok this is annoying, all the way toward +
      nothing
      here I am, 
      what I'm I missing?
      How come moving the regulator arm from - to + does not make any variation?
      I'm lost
    • By Giuseppe
      Hi,
      in order to buy appropriate spares in my attempt to service an Omega 175.0083 (7750)  I need some advice:
      I've already been suggested to replace MS:
      Barrel is Ok and I'm thinking of buying a new MS and moebius 8217 for barrel lubricating as I don't want to spend money on recommended Kluber 125 grease.
      Should I consider instead buying a barrel complete (assuming Barrel complete (180.1) comes with MS installed) wich supposedly comes prelubricated ?
      Attached image shows automatic device bridge with evident sign of wear from where, to my understanding, the problem orginated: a screw came off
      I cant find original part. 
      ETA part is different from Omega in that the Omega is larger and partially covers hammer two function and the chronograph cam.
      Beside that and since the watch has no crystal back case I think those parts are perfectly interchangeable.
      Do I need to replace the bridge or are there alternative aproaches to this problem?
      TIA
      Giuseppe