Cost / Source for mainspring

Nora

Yesterdays post brought me a 12s grade 219 Washington Monarch (re-branded Illinois)  I bought it as a "good staff, doesn't run". It needed cleaned , had a couple of missing screws, and a broken main spring. Cleaning and screw replacement completed, I now need a new spring. According the the Illinois chart I will need a #47344, (18.5-2-.18) though I have not yet removed the broken spring from the barrel yet to confirm this. I want to get the white alloy version and have only found one source on eBay that has one. The asking on a buy it now is  $22.50 free shipping.  Is this a fair price, and what are other sources that may have one? 

Thank you in advance

Washington 12s.jpg

ONLY ONE SOURCE ? If so, cough up the dough.Yes it does seem a bit pricey, but not totally out of line considering age and value of the watch. You might find a parts watch on ETSY, but it would be a total crapshoot.

Edited by yankeedog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nora said:

Yesterdays post brought me a 12s grade 219 Washington Monarch (re-branded Illinois)  I bought it as a "good staff, doesn't run". It needed cleaned , had a couple of missing screws, and a broken main spring. Cleaning and screw replacement completed, I now need a new spring. According the the Illinois chart I will need a #47344, (18.5-2-.18) though I have not yet removed the broken spring from the barrel yet to confirm this. I want to get the white alloy version and have only found one source on eBay that has one. The asking on a buy it now is  $22.50 free shipping.  Is this a fair price, and what are other sources that may have one? 

Thank you in advance

Washington 12s.jpg

Plus or minus a couple bucks, yes that's about the going price for white alloy replacements. Just like your staff, pinion and jewel issue, time to take out the old one, compare measurements to the referenced one including correct ends shapes, then compare those to the white alloy. Are you measuring using Dennison numbers or metric? I'd use metric. Can you say who the seller is? Because I have a couple reliable folks I get mine from. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Just like your staff, pinion and jewel issue, time to take out the old one, compare measurements to the referenced one including correct ends shapes, then compare those to the white alloy. Are you measuring using Dennison numbers or metric? I'd use metric. Can you say who the seller is? Because I have a couple reliable folks I get mine from. 

I'm using metric measurements. I just ordered one from "el-even". I've done business with him / her before and was happy with the results. The listing doesn't show or say what the outside end shape looks like but the arbor end looks good. I'm giving it a shot just the same. If it's not a match I can always resell it later. Getting it with free shipping  always helps recoup your money if that route needs to be taken

I'm always interested in reliable folks.

Edited by Nora

11 minutes ago, Nora said:

I'm using metric measurements. I just ordered one from "el-even". I've done business with him / her before and was happy with the results. The listing doesn't show or say what the outside end shape looks like but the arbor end looks good. I'm giving it a shot just the same. If it's not a match I can always resell it later. Getting it with free shipping  always helps recoup your money if that route needs to be taken

I'm always interested in reliable folks.

Good to hear. Check the barrel lock end..is it a 'T' or slot etc etc. What I do if I get the wrong part is, I keep it. Build up my own inventory you never know if you might need it down the road.

jrclocker is one of my go-to guys. 

5 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

What I do if I get the wrong part is, I keep it. Build up my own inventory you never know if you might need it down the road.

jrclocker is one of my go-to guys. 

My thoughts exactly. "I can always sell it later" is just an option I use to help  relieve any buyers remorse for selecting the wrong one. That way I don't feel stuck with something. I like the free shipping option just for that. It helps to recoup the loss, if that is the rout that is needed.

I'll look them up later, 

6 minutes ago, Nora said:

My thoughts exactly. "I can always sell it later" is just an option I use to help  relieve any buyers remorse for selecting the wrong one. That way I don't feel stuck with something. I like the free shipping option just for that. It helps to recoup the loss, if that is the rout that is needed.

I'll look them up later, 

Exactly. Lol