Mainspring GR code

TibiV

Hello,

If someone can help with a GR code , on Cousins UK those books are obsolete and no more available to buy, or if you know another website to determine this code for a broken mainspring

Dimensions are 1,3 - 0,2 - 270 - 9 in mm  and has a hole so TR - those dimensions cannot find on Cousins, so any ideas will be welcome.

It's for an PP for ladies , beautiful watch.

Thank you in advance,

Stay healthy

BR

Tibi V sr 

3 hours ago, TibiV said:

Dimensions are 1,3 - 0,2 - 270 - 9 in mm  and has a hole so TR - those dimensions cannot find on Cousins, so any ideas will be welcome.

I was reading this again and there is no way a .2 strength, 270mm long MS fits into a 9mm barrell. Beside .2 is way too strong especially for a ladie's. That before considering that the smaller height GR lists for holed end is 1.5. So you should measure it again. 

Woops  Nickel "fast fingers" Silver beated me on the finish line!

• Like 1

Hello,

It'a PP , way out of normal range, good idea I will do the measurements again.

It's first time to change a mainspring

First service was made in 1953

Thank you for advice

I never saw something like this , I will attach some photos as soon I will have time, I hope you will enjoy it.

BR

Tibi V sr

Just a couple of things-

PP I'm guessing is Patek. This is going to be a delicate watch, balance pivots are likely 0.06mm or so. For that age of watch it may or may not have shock protection, either way you'll be dealing with some tiny parts. Hairspring will be very very fragile. Be very careful especially if you don't have a lot of experience on very small pieces already.

The mainspring, having a hole end, will also have a "T", either as part of the spring (attached) or as a separate piece. Don't try to use a hole end spring without the T, the spring will almost certainly pull off the hook and/or damage the hook. A modern tongue end spring will work though.

For ballpark thickness you can take the ligne size and make that hundredths of a mm. 7 ligne watch, 0.07mm spring. 10 ligne, 0.10mm. It's a rough guide but you can see that 0.2mm would be about a 20 ligne watch, haha.

Also, be careful.

Hmm, that's what was in there? What's the movement diameter? 0.12 is still pretty strong for anything I'd call a "ladies" movement. For example a Peseux 7001, at 10.5"' takes a 0.11 or 0.12 depending where you look, but at 21,600 does need a bit more power. A typical 10"' LeCoultre from the same period as your patek takes a 0.10 or sometimes even thinner. These are what would be considered smaller mens movements.

On edit- Ah, ok, you actually have a barrel with a 9mm inside diameter? Ok that's not what would typically be called a ladies movement even if in a ladies watch. The one you just posted coud work but it's anyone's guess if the T from a Waltham spring lines up.