Chinese automatic oiler

5 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Once showed how he used his auto oiler, I think bergeon for about twice the price.

Not much more expensive! why go with the cheap one.

Have you tried both to make this suggestion? Or at least one?

3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I think the amount of oil he put on endstone was just perfect.

With the topic now well derailed let's further entertain ourselves looking at what our Host Mark Lovick, the man than runs and pays for this forum, has to say on the subject.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jdm said:

With the topic now well derailed let's further entertain ourselves looking at what our Host Mark Lovick, the man than runs and pays for this forum, has to say on the subject.

Yes. This is the video that prompted me to look into getting an automatic oiler again. Several years ago I asked my mentor about automatic oilers. His opinion was that it was an unnecessary luxury. He tends to be old school and even makes his own precision oilers from sewing needles.

But recently I've been restoring pre 60's watches and they don't have shock springs. It's a real pain to lubricate such jewels.

I don't know if any of you have this problem with steel oilers, but here in Singapore, it's so humid that if I leave my oilers uncapped on my bench for a couple of days, it'll start rusting.

I might get one of these Chinese oilers as with the discounts and coupons, it comes to 1/3 the price of a Bergeon.

5 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

His opinion was that it was an unnecessary luxury. He tends to be old school and even makes his own precision oilers from sewing needles.

But recently I've been restoring pre 60's watches and they don't have shock springs. It's a real pain to lubricate such jewels.

I understand your teacher's position, i think it's not a strictly necessary tool. What the automatic can't replace is the applicator which is a fine round pin for jewels where is difficult or not practical to separate the cap jewel, e.g. the two small diashock on Seiko, or rubbed in.

Rub-in jewels have integrated end stone, out of obsession I am always concerned if I have managed to get enough oil on its end stone, automatic oiler seem assuring to have dispensed that certain amount of oil there,  one can double the amount by pumping twice and the exactness of the amount is a nice control to have.

In a sense, same story with screw on end stones, you can just screw the end stone on and then oil. Much neater outcome since end stone plate/ holder is sure to move when you try to place it on and oil gets spread around by the old method. 

I use old accupuncture needles as oiler.

• Like 1

Just now, Nucejoe said:

Rub-in jewels have integrated end stone, out of obsession I am always concerned if I have managed to get enough oil on its end stone, automatic oiler seem assuring to have dispensed that certain amount of oil there,  one can double the amount by pumping twice and the exactness of the amount is a nice control to have.

I don't think you can really pump in oil in there since the air trapped in prevents that. And any oil left on the flat facing the balance is count productive. So the fine applicator is used to push some oil in the hole.  That is my understanding at least.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Chinese oiler last week but haven't actually used it on a balance jewel.

I noticed that if I press the oiling pin in or pull back the on the button, oil starts to flow and continues to flow as long as the pin is depressed. i.e. the size of the oil drop is time dependent. 

Is that normal? Does the bergeon work in the same manner?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 3:12 AM, HectorLooi said:

Is that normal? Does the bergeon work in the same manner?

No, I don't think that is normal for an automatic oiler. The whole point is to get a perfect amount of oil each time the oiler is used and that is not possible if it depends on how long you apply pressure to the button. Are you sure it is actually working like this ?

• 4 months later...

I got a chinese oiler. Very tricky stuff this oiling. The tip is connical and it is 14/100 in diameter.  It wouldn't penetrate the hole down to the cap jewel. I MADE IT THINNER AT THE TIP BUT although it reaches now the cap jewel it does not deposit oil on it. I MADE 10 ATTEMPTS BUT IT ONLY FILLS THE CUP OF THE HOLE JEWEL.  Аll tests were on a rub-in balance bridge. I continue reflecting on the problem. Any idea is welcome.

Edited by Vladi

Also I would appreciate if someone  who has the original bergeon 1A described the shape of the tip and how much it protrudes when the slide button is at bottom dead center and at upper dead center. My goal is to clarify the general principle of action  and the capillary effects involved. 

I don't use it much. But I did manage to get occasional success. 

Don't fill too much oil in the reservoir, about half full is all you need. I also removed the needle and gave it a good wash in alcohol. I think it needs the mechanism to be clean and dry for air pressure to equalize between the outside atmosphere and the reservoir. 

Because of its unpredictable success, I only use it for oiling escapement jewels.

• 5 months later...

Hi all

I am looking to get an Auto Oiler but at the moment I can't justify the cost of the Bergeon ones at the moment so have been looking at alternatives and came across what look like Clones of the Bergeon tool as seen here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384196684681 It looks identical to the Bergeon even down to the model number, unless they are also making them for Bergeon ;)

Anyone tried the Chinese version, how did you get on with it

The smallest size the Chinese offer is 0.8mm how does that compare to the smallest Begeon as Bergeon do not list the actual size of their models.

At £30 its till a lot of money which I don't want to spend if it does not work.

Thanks for any input on this.

Paul

17 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Anyone tried the Chinese version, how did you get on with it

I remember it has been discussed in the past. Try on Google:

site:watchrepairtalk.com "chinese oiler"

and without quotes too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bit the bullet and got one of the Chinese oilers, about £30 and took about a week to arrive, which is quicker than some UK based sellers manage.

Had a bit of a play and so far it seems to work well, depositing just the right amount of oil on the jewel, much more accurate than I was managing doing it by hand using the normal oilers.

It's quite amazing just how much this looks like the Bergeon version, even down to the model number, everything including the stand looks identical.  I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they actually made the Bergson one for them, it's that close. Just a third of the price.

Paul

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Had a bit of a play and so far it seems to work well, depositing just the right amount of oil on the jewel, much more accurate than I was managing doing it by hand 

Have you tried oiling a closed shock jewel through the hole? Mine just leaves a mess and nothing get through the hole to the cap jewel.

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Have you tried oiling a closed shock jewel through the hole? Mine just leaves a mess and nothing get through the hole to the cap jewel.

You need to drive the oil down the hole with a pin, like the incablock gold color tool. 

• Thanks 1