Seiko 7625-1900 (7625A movement) Setting Lever Spring 388820

Hi Everyone, Just opened up a Seiko 7625 non runner from 1965. Initial disappointment of a missing dial screw was pretty soon turned into joy when that was found sitting on top of the escape wheel stopping that from moving. I'm now pretty sure that this watch will run with a good clean and lubrication. However there is one issue with the crown. That will not stay pushed in and upon investigation the setting lever spring (part 388820) is damaged. The middle leg is snapped off. I am appealing to all members in the hope that someone might have one going spare, obviously I would not want to take anyone's last one. But if someone can let one go to me at a reasonable price then that would be really appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Steve.

IMG_20200804_181848623.jpg

IMG_20200804_185608887_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-073233.png

Sorry I have stash of Seiko parts BUT not the one you require. However I would not be surprised that this spring is common with other Seiko calibers. Could you take some measurements of the existing spring and then I could do a cross reference with some scrap Seiko's I have. 

44 minutes ago, jdm said:

Yes, I did check, just seems a bit expensive as the watch only cost a bit more than that. Would be looking to try and get one for around £10.

37 minutes ago, steve1811uk said:

Yes, I did check, just seems a bit expensive as the watch only cost a bit more than that. Would be looking to try and get one for around £10.

For the same as the spring you could also get a complete watch, free shipping in the UK. Very normal for this kind of watches to be more costly to repair than their value.

13 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  I have checked with cousins and the part is obsolete,  Try Obsoletewatchandclockparts.com    or    Welwnwatchparts.co.uk     Speedtimerkollection in europe they are all suppliers of second user parts  or Ebay for a donon movement or part.

I Have attached the tech sheet for the 7625A for your interest.

243_Seiko 7625A.pdf 1.14 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I did a bit of investigative work on the 7625 last night and found some strange behaviour with the timing. I am not too concerned about the beat error as I think that can be corrected by turning the hairspring collet a touch. The slow variation however surprised me as I have never seen it before. I think it is due to wear between the barrel arbour and the barrel cap causing the barrel to be able to tilt as it rotates. I can see that the arbour is very loose in the barrel cap hole. This is causing around 0.3mm up and down play (tilt) at the edge of the barrel. The arbour doesn't appear to be loose in the plate bushings. Does my diagnosis sound feasible? I'm guessing I would need a new barrel or arbour or both to fix the issue. Thanks for any help in advance. Steve.

IMG_20200813_234321909.jpg

Hi, I had another look tonight and the barrel itself is in a terrible state. There is a massive amount of free play between the barrel and the arbour. There is substantial side play and end play allowing the arbour to move up and down inside the barrel and for the barrel to tilt around the arbour. The inside of the barrel looks really worn like someone has intentionally machined the metal away next to the hole in the barrel cap. The barrel bushings in the plates are giving only very slight play. I will get hold of a replacement barrel and arbour and try again. Steve.

IMG_20200814_200551058.jpg

1 hour ago, steve1811uk said:

Hi, I had another look tonight and the barrel itself is in a terrible state.

That is why I was recommending to get complete donors movments instead of chasing individual parts when working on old worn pieces, and even if not old.

One never knows what parts may need replacement, or break or get lost.

16 minutes ago, jdm said:

That is why I was recommending to get complete donors movments instead of chasing individual parts when working on old worn pieces, and even if not old.

One never knows what parts may need replacement, or break or get lost.

Hi, point taken but the donor movement could also have a badly worn barrel and arbour. That would probably be highly likely considering the age of the watch, 55 years old. I've managed to get a NOS barrel, arbour and setting lever spring for £26 total including shipping and I don't think that's too bad.

16 hours ago, steve1811uk said:

Hi, I had another look tonight and the barrel itself is in a terrible state. There is a massive amount of free play between the barrel and the arbour. There is substantial side play and end play allowing the arbour to move up and down inside the barrel and for the barrel to tilt around the arbour. The inside of the barrel looks really worn like someone has intentionally machined the metal away next to the hole in the barrel cap. The barrel bushings in the plates are giving only very slight play. I will get hold of a replacement barrel and arbour and try again. Steve.

IMG_20200814_200551058.jpg

Maybe the bushing could be moved in a touch to take up the shake. Although a replacement would be best sometimes one has to improvise when parts are not available.

• Like 1