Timex Q Quartz

I just received my Timex Q Quartz. It is running fine but appears to have fungus on the dial. Battery hatch gasket was missing and the case gasket was damaged. 

Full of lint inside. There was a whole ring of lint wound around the winding stem. Looked like a felt washer. :D

And I found another "felt washer" under the hands. Should have taken photos of it to see if it would win any prize.

In spite if all the foreign bodies inside, the watch was still keeping good time.

Can anyone identify the movement inside?

I would be grateful if someone could post the tech sheet for this movement. :thumbsu:

20200804_221946.jpg

20200804_221920.jpg

The movement spacer has the number M64 on it. But from Dr Ranfft's website, it looks more like a M63.

Anyway, the movement is running fine, accurate to about 3 seconds a day. So I decided to leave it alone. I only cleaned up the dial, relumed the hands and polished the case.

20200806_222409.jpg

• Like 2

Had to take my Q Quartz apart to check. It stopped on my wrist 3 times today.

Found quite a few magnetic particles stuck to various parts inside the movement. 

Being a quartz watch, I thought I've seen the last of my good friend - the contact spring. But lo and behold.... it's still here! :startle:

Battling several technical problems at home and at work this week. It'll be some time before I can get down to putting it back together.

20200812_202223.jpg

• Like 1

Love and hate these electric q quartz watches.

When they run they usually run well if they don't my success rate at servicing is 50%.

I hate the day and date indexing springs which are really fiddly and then you have a dial with tabs to fit over them its painful!

Fitting the coil balance, near a magnet also has its moments of frustration. 

• Thanks 1

I couldn't sleep thinking about this watch. So I got up at 1 am to fix it. 

1 hour ago, Melt said:

Love and hate these electric q quartz watches.

When they run they usually run well if they don't my success rate at servicing is 50%.

I hate the day and date indexing springs which are really fiddly and then you have a dial with tabs to fit over them its painful!

Fitting the coil balance, near a magnet also has its moments of frustration. 

I agree with everything you said. There are days when it would take me almost an hour to get the gear train in. But tonight, everything went smoothly. :D

It's ticking again. Let's see if it'll behave now. :sleep:

• 5 months later...

This watch worked fine for about 6 months then recently it stops intermittently. 

I took everything apart and cleaned them again. While regulating the watch, I noticed that one end of the trimmer on the pcb was lifted. When I poked at it to investigate further, the entire trimmer fell off. There doesn't appear to be any solder on the trimmer leads or the pcb pads, just a couple of blobs what appears to be epoxy. I know this watch was manufactured inthe 70's, during the infancy of smd technology, but to expect good electrical contact with a few blobs of glue?

I'll try soldering it back tomorrow but my hands were trembling quite badly just now, due to the side effects of my 2nd dose of Covid vaccine. I had ALL the known side effects of the vaccine, headache, bodyaches, joint pain, fever, chills, tiredness...

I hope there are no permanent side effects. ?

20210204_231752.jpg

20210204_231724.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 8:46 PM, HectorLooi said:

The movement spacer has the number M64 on it. But from Dr Ranfft's website, it looks more like a M63.

Anyway, the movement is running fine, accurate to about 3 seconds a day. So I decided to leave it alone. I only cleaned up the dial, relumed the hands and polished the case.

20200806_222409.jpg

Nice.  What did you use for lume?

4 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

This watch worked fine for about 6 months then recently it stops intermittently. 

I took everything apart and cleaned them again. While regulating the watch, I noticed that one end of the trimmer on the pcb was lifted. When I poked at it to investigate further, the entire trimmer fell off. There doesn't appear to be any solder on the trimmer leads or the pcb pads, just a couple of blobs what appears to be epoxy. I know this watch was manufactured inthe 70's, during the infancy of smd technology, but to expect good electrical contact with a few blobs of glue?

I'll try soldering it back tomorrow but my hands were trembling quite badly just now, due to the side effects of my 2nd dose of Covid vaccine. I had ALL the known side effects of the vaccine, headache, bodyaches, joint pain, fever, chills, tiredness...

I hope there are no permanent side effects. ?

Get well soon Hectorlooi.....

If you can't fix it PM me as I should have a spare circuit board.

BTW I'm looking for the date spring for few watches like these.....they always seem to be broken!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

This is beginning to look like a never ending project. While checking the performance on the timegrapher, the jaws slipped and took out an hour index and the Timex logo. ?

No! Bad Luck but it should be an easy fix for someone with your skills. I have some similar clean dials for GP models if needed.

I need a battery clamp like you have.

Edited by Melt

42 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I made it out of copper wire in 5 minutes.

I like the battery clip too.  Timex did make these for many of the early battery ops.  I have to dig a few up to show. But in the meantime, I did work on an early big "Q" today myself.    The checked my NOS stock and found a replacement bezel and stem\crown. Looks great with the original stretch strap too.

145912874_438654447443938_226960028991203185_n.jpg

• Like 1