Timex Q Quartz

Question

I just received my Timex Q Quartz. It is running fine but appears to have fungus on the dial. Battery hatch gasket was missing and the case gasket was damaged. 

Full of lint inside. There was a whole ring of lint wound around the winding stem. Looked like a felt washer. :D

And I found another "felt washer" under the hands. Should have taken photos of it to see if it would win any prize.

In spite if all the foreign bodies inside, the watch was still keeping good time.

Can anyone identify the movement inside?

I would be grateful if someone could post the tech sheet for this movement. :thumbsu:

20200804_221946.jpg

20200804_221920.jpg

7 answers to this question

The movement spacer has the number M64 on it. But from Dr Ranfft's website, it looks more like a M63.

Anyway, the movement is running fine, accurate to about 3 seconds a day. So I decided to leave it alone. I only cleaned up the dial, relumed the hands and polished the case.

20200806_222409.jpg

• Like 1

Had to take my Q Quartz apart to check. It stopped on my wrist 3 times today.

Found quite a few magnetic particles stuck to various parts inside the movement. 

Being a quartz watch, I thought I've seen the last of my good friend - the contact spring. But lo and behold.... it's still here! :startle:

Battling several technical problems at home and at work this week. It'll be some time before I can get down to putting it back together.

20200812_202223.jpg

• Like 1

Love and hate these electric q quartz watches.

When they run they usually run well if they don't my success rate at servicing is 50%.

I hate the day and date indexing springs which are really fiddly and then you have a dial with tabs to fit over them its painful!

Fitting the coil balance, near a magnet also has its moments of frustration. 

• Thanks 1

I couldn't sleep thinking about this watch. So I got up at 1 am to fix it. 

1 hour ago, Melt said:

Love and hate these electric q quartz watches.

When they run they usually run well if they don't my success rate at servicing is 50%.

I hate the day and date indexing springs which are really fiddly and then you have a dial with tabs to fit over them its painful!

Fitting the coil balance, near a magnet also has its moments of frustration. 

I agree with everything you said. There are days when it would take me almost an hour to get the gear train in. But tonight, everything went smoothly. :D

It's ticking again. Let's see if it'll behave now. :sleep:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HectorLooi
      I started disassembling this Timex 21 jewel M75 last night. Having an obsessive compulsive nature, I couldn't stop at just removing the calender works and soaking the movement in naptha. I removed almost everything except the mainspring. Including every endstone. 
      I have not seen any other watch with so many endstones. My question is, what oil do I use for a Timex? Do I use the whole gamut of D5, 9010, 9415, molykote DX...?
      All other Timex posts on this forum only mention oiling but don't talk about what oil to use.
      I'm sure JerseyMo must be shaking his head and laughing so hard now. 

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too
    • By HectorLooi
      Attempting to produce a contact wire for my Timex Electric. I thinned down a piece of spring from a broken mainspring. It's getting a bit difficult to hold now.

• By JayS
      I've just put a '67 Timex Viscount auto back together and I'm having a strange problem where the hour hand doesn't keep up to the minute hand (noticing this while setting the watch) and then it bolts ahead an hour or more very quickly. I've had to adjust the lay of the minute and second hands because they were rubbing every once in a while and stopping time. Perhaps I pushed the hour hand down and it's rubbing on the face now? I have to open it up again anyway as my micro-adjustments of the minute hand aren't keeping it away from the second hand consistently. It could just be that I need to make sure everything is getting clearance a little more closely or could it be something with the way the hour wheel and cannon pinion assembly are meshing?
    • By trooperbill
      hi guys, my obsession is early Timex watches from the 1950s, 60s and 70s with a particular focus on 1976 birth year watches, Dundee made pieces and early 50s pieces.
      what attracts me to Timex is how disposable they were and how they shouldn't have lasted as long as they should. there's a UK connection and a wide range of mechanical pieces produced in 1976 when the quartz crisis was at its height.
      unfortunately i have the money but not the time to restore many of these pieces so for now stick with m24 (no date) restorations with others being helped out by the timex community on fb and ig. (@timetrope)
      my current challenge is getting date wheels on m25 movements back on. theyre tricky. and getting crowns to stay in place on m21/22 movements which im hoping some new antimagnetic tweezers will help with.
      if your looking to sell or trade pieces then my goal is to collect them ALL and even at 200 im short quite a few